ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
[Linked Image from nachi.org]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Joe:
Looks like a 'hacked' entry for the one conduit entering from the bottom. Is that tape to the side of the conduit?? No locknut/bushing; looks like no connector. Plus what's with the pipes under the backbox?

John

John
Cat Servant
One of my "bread & butter" jobs is replacing old panels. Since the old ones are usually piped in and you have the wires to wrestle with, this is where a lot of damage can happen- to the wire, the panel, and the wall.
Indeed, one of my common solutions probably gives the regulators listing heartburn: because knockouts NEVER match the arrangement of the old pipe, I've been known to cut the end plates out- and attach, in their place, the ends of the old panel.

It would be nice if panels did NOT have pre-punched knock-outs. It would be positively heavenly if panel cases were of standardised sizes- and the end plates were made to be removed (perhaps by drilling out rivets).

Yet, even getting a replacement innard for a "brand X" panel from the "brand X" manufacturer is impossible.....unless you 'go it alone' into the parts house with a tape measure, and open a bunch of boxes!

I believe that there is a need for "retro-fit friendly" panels. There's also, I believe, a place for half-width (single column) panels.
Manufacturers, are you listening?

Reno:
Amen to all items on your wish list; but...is anybody listening??

Sq D QOB 'panelboards' are nice.....no KO's.
(or maybe that's a loadcenter??) Ya think that after all these years I'd get it straight?
John

John

Link Copied to Clipboard