ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 565 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Z
Hello folks.

I work in IT, but working in IT frequently involves coming up with power solutions, so I have interest in electrical work as well.

There are a lot of situations where an installation of equipment will only be around for 6-12 months, and the equipment doesn't draw very much power. In these situations, it would be extremely wasteful to call an electrician out to install additional outlets which will be completely unused once the installation is gone.

We use power strips all the time where I work, but we try to use them as safely as possible. We use only high quality strips, and we never daisy-chain. When I do find daisy chained strips, I fix it and chew out whoever is responsible.

I never understood the "rule" about not being able to secure power strips to a surface. In a lot of cases, securing them to a surface makes for a much neater installation than having them loose on the floor to become hopelessly tangled up in a dangerous, potentially firey mess.

What's better: three power strips secured to a table leg, up off the floor, with the cables neatly secured, or a big spaghetti mess on the floor that frequently gets kicked and/or jostled by people working in the area?

This is definitely a case where the code can probably use some adjustment. Though I fully agree that the photo in this post is much too messy and the daisy-chaining needs to be fixed!

-Z

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I Don't have a problem with "surge strips" for the most part all of them have a built in circuit breaker. Thats all I need. The Wiring IS protected!
Where is the problem if the surge strip has a circuit breaker? I know code says that it is a No-No, But Why? Without these surge strips you would see alot more scary wiring!
We have more important issues to deal with.
Let's put things into perspective.
I wish the only violation here was 110.12 neat and workmanlike manner

Justin

It's Not The Fall That Kills You...
It's That Sudden Stop At The End
M
Very nice work Larry!

Your solution works well in an "entertainment center" closet but if you don't mind me asking how you do explain to a customer you need to install 12 receptacles in their home office/former bedroom?

Wait a minute! I see a fifth power strip to the right in the first photo.

Nice organized job Larry, at least compared to the first picture.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard