ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Larry's solution is great! But can you convince the people to spend (guessing $200.00) for this insted of $9.99 for the power strip?
Larry just out of curiosity is this a seperate circuit to the panel or a tap off of an existing circuit?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
Another good post Reno, I have thought of many of the same issues.

I have some Wiremold brand portable power taps and they are wired with 12 AWG and 20 amp Hubbell receptacles.

They also have brackets to mount to a wall.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
L
"Larry just out of curiosity is this a seperate circuit to the panel or a tap off of an existing circuit?"

Actually, this is fed from a 4-space/8-circuit G.E. sub-panel just above in the wall, fed via a 6/3 NM on a 50a. 2-pole breaker in my main panel. I used the G.E. because the breakers aren't centered in the enclosure:

[Linked Image from fineelectricco.com]

Note the yellow RCA cord; this is a 12v. trigger from my surround pre/pro. There is a 25a, 4-pole contactor inside the panel which switches 4 of the 8 circuits. I had to cascade several relays because the pre/pro trigger is only capable of 15ma.

The 12v. output operates a reed relay with 1a. contacts, which in turn controls a 120v-coil, 10a-contact relay, which in turn operates the contactor. The reed relay contacts can't handle contactor's current directly.

(Yes, I know it's illegal to have misc equipment in a panel. Hey, after all, I'm a professional, so I know how to break the rules properly!)

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
I
"Hey, after all, I'm a professional, so I know how to break the rules properly!)"

Famous last words? [Linked Image]

M
"Hey, after all, I'm a professional, so I know how to break the rules properly!)"

Like the shoemaker with holes in his shoes or the carpenter with a hole in his roof.

I have a buddy who is an electrician, at who's house you can see some of the most horrific uses of extension cords, temp lighting and countless other electrical odds and ends used in a way that a professional (that he is) should always be on hand.
I laugh (probably should cry) to myself everytime I set foot in this guy's house.

Cat Servant
Checkmate, Larry. Guess the code, by proscribing anything actually useful, really wants us to return to horse & buggy days!

We can't let anything like progress interfere with inspection convenience, can we?

M
Larry: What is the purpose of having a remote controlled contactor for the four circuits? Some type of power on/power off sequencing for amplifiers and pre-amps, possibly (to minimize audio "thumps")?

Mike (mamills)

C
Larry, by posting this you raise a question. What is the code-compliant way of doing this? My imagination is tending towards the following:
Panel->Breaker->Contactor(Separate Enclosure)->Second Subpanel->Final Breakers

Although Non Code Compliant, I (at the risk of being yelled at) agree that sometimes In circumstances like this, professionals know when it is safe to break the rules.

I would agree this would be a bad idea if it were the *Main* panel, but being a subpanel it can be isolated for service by turning off the feed breaker in the main.

And with reference to your 'Stack O Outlets', EXCELLENT work, neat, and shows that such a thing can be neat and workmanlike.

W
Thre should exist industrial control relays and such that would be code compliant, maybe not in the panel, but maybe downstream. Or those remote control light switch relays that fit in knockouts of boxes with the low voltage wiring outside the box.

L
Thanx for the kudos, guys.

Mike, the contactor is not on delay. It's simply for automatically controlling my amplifiers and ancillary electronics.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard