ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
These are the types of hazards that exist in the spaces behind closed walls. A door installer found this after making this opening for the new door.

The discussion was centered around 300.4(D) but the real problem, as I see it was the buried splice to what appears to be a different type of cable.

[Linked Image from nachi.org]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
It appears that a new piece of romex was spliced to an old-style piece of romex.

Homeowners and handymen seem to have an almost pathological fear of the sight of anything electrical. This leads them to go to great lengths to hide, cover, and bury panels, junction boxes, receptacles....and to take "short cuts" such as this 'flying splice.'

There is also a cavalier attitude toward future needs....they'll take the chance that there will never be a problem at that point, and justify it with "no inspector will ever see it."

That, of course, is faulty logic. One of the unintended consequences of having code and inspections is a desire to 'beat the system,' or 'fool the inspector.'

reno

Also, the argument on the other site was not even related to the bad and illegal splice, but to 300.4(D) in a multi thread, reply after reply, that was becoming more and more involved by one Qualified Person, and another who chose to keep his profile blank (me-thinks he is a writer) and then the poor guy AL who cut the door opening, who was asking a simple question, which was answered very early in the thread, gets beat up by a poster.

I finally ended the discussion!

Oh, I forgot to mention that the poster sent a request to a real code expert, and the real expert sent one of his new "Lieutenants" to add a few words to try to settle the fuss .... I wish we were able to see each other when these discussion take place it would sure save a lot of time!

I forgot to congratulate you formally here although I did on the chat train, now you will have to bite your tongue once in a while!

I am sure we will enjoy seeing the comments behind your name.

Cat Servant
300.4..."Protection against physical damage." I never would have focused on that part of the code.

I just can't imagine there being a plan to leave this wire floating across the new doorway. While there are issues as to fastening or support of the cable, again. it is possible that it was originally "fished" through the wall- only to be exposed in this re-model.

As far as bad manners, and "starting the brain before engaging the toungue go, well, I am only human, some things 'push my buttons' more than others, and I will confess a bias in favor of saying thing in a memorable way.

Life would be awfully boring if everybody agreed all the time- it is tha mark of adult conversation that you can state your view, tolerate the views that differ from yours, and converse- without reverting to childhood sandbox squabbles.

As a new moderator, I expect that a large part of my job will be listening- and I sure need experience there :-)

I
Joe there are many code experts and many times they disagree.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the poster sent a request to a real code expert, and the real expert sent one of his new "Lieutenants" to add a few words to try to settle the fuss .... I wish we were able to see each other when these discussion take place it would sure save a lot of time

The fact that you try to belittle those that disagree with you is disturbing. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
There you go again Bob!

You are not aware of what I meant by those statements!

No one disagreed with me, they were disagreeing with each other, and the fact that the NON-Electrician, and Qualified person were arguing about the kick plate was the issue.

Don't always read into my posts looking to start up with your remarks!

S
"The fact that you try to belittle those that disagree with you is disturbing."

Whats this?

Lurker

Ding! Ding! [Linked Image]

Wood work but can't!
As this area is sometimes used for Vocational Studies please keep comments in good taste and to the point

S
It was

Rob

Link Copied to Clipboard