ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Who said anything about cutting corners. Putting a cover on this box and calling it done is not a problem nor should it be to a rationaly thinking person. This is NOT cutting corners. My point is that listing violation is thrown around as if there was a body count multiplying every second. I am sure there is not. There are probably an unlimited number of things that can be done that violate certain "listngs" that have no bearing on the use or safety of those products whatsoever. To me it is more code mumbo jumbo to for cya purposes likely championed by the manufacturers.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
Scott, I pretty much agree with you. Somewhere along the line, folks seem to have forgotten the "skilled" part of our trade; we're not simply retarded monkeys slapping together bits & pieces!

The fact is, not only were many things- including pull boxes- once fabricated on site by tradesmen, a very large number of the tools and components that we buy were invented and perfected in the field by us.

When it comes to making or modifying something in the field, it certainly helps to understand the criteria an "approved" or manufactured it expected to meet. Let's not be silly, though- just how involved can the requirements be for a flat, square, piece of sheet metal? And to suggest that we are competent to punch control button holes into a cover, but not the holes for the mounting screws, is plain silly.

Cover the box and be done with it! Besides- just how many times are wires damaged by attempting to remove and replace the enclosure?

B
Technically, using a knock out cutter on a UL listed enclosure voids the listing. But we still continue to do it.

S
Well what would you do with a J&P with no factory KO's.

Just curious
Rob

[This message has been edited by sierra electrician (edited 07-13-2005).]

B
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this, just making a point that the UL listing is voided all the time.

R
I've never been impressed with the UL listing as justification for anything. Explain why a 16 gauge hunk of steel bent into a junction box even needs UL listing while a strip of plastic with a six foot cord gets listed as an outlet strip instead of an incendiary device.

Just because UL listed hardware is used doesn't mean your installation is UL listed. Shouldn't UL be approving all electrical installation and not leaving it up to inspectors (or electricians) with various degrees of interpretations. Why aren't inspectors UL listed?

Look around Big-Mart and tell me that the UL listed junk didn't require some help to get listed under UL. I think we need a new listing company with an elevated standard.

And oh yeah, I still say make the cover. I have yet to see an existing electrical installation where something didn't have to be field modified to suit the conditions and keep things safe.

I take safety very seriously but sometimes think UL is a puppet for the manufacturers....and the NFPA, whom I respect, seems to be slowly leaning this way as well. Not good for us end users folks!!! Not good for our customers!!!

RSlater,
RSmike

P
I don't see any problem with fabricating a cover with suitable sheet metal. UL-listed or not, if it's as good as the original, it will be just as safe.

B
I would say the same thing.

The UL can go fly a kite for something like this. If it is going to be safe, and well made, and as good (possibly better) than the original what is wrong with it?

E
I sort of agree with the statements about UL not being the end-all judgement.
What do we really use the "UL" for. It's to determine adequacy of equipment construction for the intended use. For me as an inspector, I can field evaluate adequacy of one of the field-made covers (material,thickness,corrosion protection) the same as the contractor does when he makes it. No problem, it works. Where I rely on UL or other listing label is for the equipment that I cannot evaluate. How do I know that switchgear will handle 600A? How do I know whether you can double lug that connection? Listing label, that's how.

Cat Servant
A lot of folks seem to be willing to speak for UL, without bothering to ask UL first!

Here is what UL has to say, in part, about field modifications:

"UL does not know what the effect of a modification may have....unless the field modifications have been specifically investigated by UL. Unless UL investigates a modified product, UL cannot indicate whether such changes "void" the UL mark.
"The only exception....is when a product has specific replacement markings. For example, a switchboard may have specific grounding kits added in the field."

In other words, only UL can say a listing is "voided," and then only after an investigation.

I say, there is nothing wrong with making your own parts. Indeed, modifying "stock" components is an integral part of the trade. Yet, it would be irresponsible to make such changes without having some idea as to what the original requirements may have been.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard