ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#105614 05/05/05 06:53 AM
Top entry into transformer not permitted according to instructions.
[Linked Image]

Seems like the workspace is violated here too!
[Linked Image]

What about the "sticks" used for the extensions of the handles?
[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#105615 05/05/05 10:57 PM
Cat Servant
Joe, as usual you post some thought-provoking pictures. I'll take them in reverse order.

Operating the switches by using a stick seems to be allowed by 404.8A, the third exception. "Hookstick operable isolating switches shall be permitted at greater heights." (I think this was formerly known as article 380).

110.26 defines working space, and excludes things "foreign to the electrical installation." And, while I don't recall the source, I seem to think there is an allowance of 6" in front of a panel, to allow use of a gutter or cable tray wider than the panel is deep.
How does that apply here? While the panel seems to be part of the same installation as the transformer, and thus allowed, long-established practice does consider this a violation of working space; it is held that the transformer obstructs -especially under fault conditions- access to the panel or disconnect.

While the straight-up feed seems to make this a clean install, I suppose the laying of wires upon the transformer coils (in the box), and the likely lack of bending space, make this a bad idea. There is also the violation of "good trade practice" of rigidly connecting the transformer case to the piping.
These quibbles are moot, however....if the instructions clearly say this transformer should be installed in a different manner.

Also worthy of note:
-Dedicated space shouldn't be used for storage, as this is;
-Even were you to allow the disconnect to be over the transformer....what is that in front of the transformer? A working space violatio for sure there; and,
-Securely mounting anything to sheet-metal walls is problematic under the best of conditions.

#105616 05/07/05 06:46 AM
I
Question

How do we know what the instructions state for this transformer?

I have installed a few transformers that only allow upper 1/3 installation of conductors.

I do not agree with renosteinke that

the panel seems to be part of the same installation as the transformer, and thus allowed

The front edge of the switch would have to be within 6" of the front of the transformer.

110.26(A)(3) Height of Working Space. The work space shall be clear and extend from the grade, floor, or platform to the height required by 110.26(E). Within the height requirements of this section, other equipment that is associated with the electrical installation and is located above or below the electrical equipment shall be permitted to extend not more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond the front of the electrical equipment.

That is of course if the disconnect is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized.

Perhaps the company policy here is to shut of the power to the disconnect before servicing.

A strict reading of the OSHA requirements would suggest shutting down the disconnect would be easer than working in the proper PPE. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#105617 05/07/05 04:42 PM
Cat Servant
Thank you, IWire, for the cite...I looked for that "6 inch rule", even read over it several times, and didn't see it....thanks for the clarification.

#105618 05/10/05 09:21 AM
G
That 6" exception is cleverly hidden in 110-26(3) under "height".

Ghost307
#105619 07/02/05 10:23 PM
Z
Hey, these are my pictures posted on this site a few years back. All this mess has been fixed by the contractor that did the work originaly. I don't work there anymore so I can't post pictures of how they fixed all the problems...........Brian

Link Copied to Clipboard