ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What will we do when there are many panelboards on one property, and in more than one building that needs circuits identified?

Can we enforce the strict rule of the existing numbering sequence, or can we change them in this one, that will be "modified" so that all of the numbers beginning with 1 through 21 will be on the left, and 22 through 42 on the right?

Safety hazard then?

I think that the conventional wisdom of the electricians in the industry would want to see and keep the same scheme.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 03-20-2005).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
It would be nice if it was set up logically, but I won't push the issue, just suggest it.

One of my biggest peeves is panel directories from the days when I used to work as an electrician. They have to be accurate. Every breaker gets a name even if its spare. As long as breaker 7 matches what it says next to number 7 on the card, then fine.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
Joe:
I can't seem to grasp what you are getting at...
"Can we enforce the strict rule of the existing numbering sequence, or can we change them in this one, that will be "modified" so that all of the numbers beginning with 1 through 21 will be on the left, and 22 through 42 on the right?"

Some mfg have a printed directory label/card that is 'odd-even', others 1-42 in a vertical format, some provide a blank lined card with no numbers, some provide 'stick-on' numbers, and there are probably a few other variations.

As an EC, I'mm from the 'odd-left' school, and yes, it's a routine that has taken me a while to 'break', especially after I turned off the incorrect breaker that WAS properly marked on a 'left-right' format.

As an AHJ...it must be marked, and correct.
As to logic of the format....I have no Article to cite. Perhaps UL or NEMA can address and correct this???

John

John
This is what I found once.
[Linked Image from 4.33.146.181]

SO NICE to get good labels, even if they are alpha, and words right next to the breakers, not numbers. I found them all to be correct, too.

BTW... The mentioned 200 amp main panel is labeled in the same manner.

Timm
S
timmp

Now that is A1 First Class!!!

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
S
I love how the breaker on the bottom left corner is labelled:

"THIS OUTLET" with the arrow pointing down. [Linked Image]

...And there it was, a nice commercial grade Leviton 20 amp outlet right under the panel. OH ... and inside was all nice organized separation of ground wires and isolation of neutral bar. Something that gets messed up a lot around here. Only thing I didn't like was that thry ran Aluminum from main panel, but it was dressed out properly.

Timm
P
The NEC requires the panels to be labeled. It does not say with numbers, letters or in sequence. This panel is better than 90 percent that I see.
Look at the screw holding in the main.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Hey, why is there a screw holding the main?

"Live the dream, you only get one chance."
T
408-16(F) requires an additional fastener to hold in mains that are backfed

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard