ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
This makeshift extension cord was constructed, and subsequently used, because there were no grounding type receptacles located nearby.

[Linked Image from ecmweb.com]

Per 240.5(3) of the 2002 NEC, “Flexible cord used in listed extension cord sets, or in extension cords made with separately listed and installed components, are permitted to be supplied by a branch circuit of Art. 210 in accordance with the following: 20-ampere circuits — 16 AWG and larger.”

This so-called extension cord doesn’t meet the above criteria because the components used to construct it weren’tt designed for this purpose.

This type of portable cord has been the subject of continued dispute because many people around the United States and Canada have no knowledge of the possible hazards associated with the use of equipment that’s not designed to be use in this manner.

[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Joe, could you fill us in a little more on what the hazards are? I've always supposed these to be very safe, because they are built with high-quality, heavy-duty components. Clearly, from your comments here and on the related thread, that is not the case; you mention that many deaths have occurred because of these. Could you fill us in on what exactly goes wrong with them?

I ask this because I want to be educated, not to be argumentative; if my question comes off as the latter, it's only because, after 49 years, this cotton-picking English language still doesn't always do what I want it to.

If these assemblies aren't safe, then why are similar assemblies in pendants OK? They have what you show there hanging all over the place at Costco. (Perhaps with better cable and strain relief--I can't quite make out what's used on the one in the picture.)

Because they are in violation of 314.23(H) Pendant Boxes.

An enclosure supported by a pendant shall comply with 314.23(H)(1)

Flexible Cord. A box shall be supported from a multiconductor cord or cable in an approved manner that protects the conductors against strain, such as a strain-relief connector threaded into a box with a hub.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
F
For pendants I have used bus drop to a w/p box with a threaded 1/2 or 3/4 opening with a Kellums grip strain relief cord grip. On the top end the bus drop is secured with a Skye-Tye and spring made by Adalet. I don't think this method, with a male cord cap installed on one end, would be suitable as an extension cord either. Am I wrong?

D
Note the "threaded into a box" language.

Your w/p box should be OK.

Link Copied to Clipboard