ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 470 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
I think the "safety" issue comes up, not because of the age of the equipment, but the maintenance of it, and how it is used.
For example, if this service is well-maintained, and continues to support a 1930 lifestyle, no problem. If, however, various occupants have added will-nilly to the system, in order to support the air conditioner, microwave, stereo, bathroom, etc...then there are sure to be major safety issues- of which the service equipment is but a small part.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Ahhh this is hitting close to <new> home now that I've moved in with my fiancee in her turn of the century house... I just recently yanked a couple similar situations off a 10' high ceiling which were feeding what was now being used as a laundry area... behind the fuse holders, the redwood ceiling board was charred from heat eminating from behind these things... (possibly from a fuse not screwed in tight enough?) regardless, the fuse holders are GE. dated 1905.. and appear to have been added as a retrofit after the original wiring was installed.. I've still yet to figure out how old this place is, but there's signs it was pre-electricity..

:
hey, it's painted insulating, don't panic [Linked Image]

E
e57 Offline
Most of the fuses of this type, that I still find on occassion were either in a manufactured panel cabinet, or earlier ones in hand made cabinets of 1X wood stock, and aspestos lined. Athough they did not have dead front covers, at least had a door to close. Often painted shut! As these are next to a meter, they may feed other panels! Hopefully they are fused right?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
G
Customer, "But Mr. Electrician, it's worked fine like that for over 60 years. Why should I spend any money to change it?"

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard