ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Was this encasement really necessary?

[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
IMO overkill for this short distance, but given the wording of the NEC I believe the inspector can require this.

I have done this to get about 40' to 60' inside of buildings.

Bob

FWIW I hope there are some dowels into the foundation to carry the weight of this. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Does this make it "outside the building"?

E
Looks like it meets 230.6(2)from here. Cant tell if it is 2" all the way around though.

John
P
Picture a 15 inch soffit overhang for the roof of a house. Now picture the RMC raceway for a mast run up the side of the house and throught the soffit and in the void up through the roof. There was about 15 inches of RMC in the space. The inspector made the contractor incase that portion in 2 inches of concrete, as he said it was inside the house....HMMMM

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
E
e57 Offline
Now picture this... A guy shows up to do demo for a remodel. Sees a 6"X6" concrete column (somewhere outside of this panel room) and thinks to himself... Well it's non-structural, what's it for... Jackhammer, or Diamond saw? Boom!

If it were just the conduit, they would call an Electrician, right?

Just so happens, I had to call the Inspector for 230.70A today, we get a different answer everytime! Today, they said they'll get back to me... I have a job where we'll need to go 38' into the building.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E
The picture also seems to me to be overkill. Is this the only portion in the building? Is the other side of that wall outdoors or another part of the building that the pipe goes through?
E57 I don't see how there could even be a question for 38' inside the building.

E
e57 Offline
No other place to enter building, no other place for service, 38' to get there... (22' back 16' down, all service drops)

Cusomer is building the Taj Mahal, no kidding turrets and onion domes. Boss wants exposed, customer is taking a hissy fit about a 2" pipe running all over his palace. We'll let the inspector make the call...

230.70A is left pretty much up to the inspector.

Personal thought its that it needs to be clarified!

In the past they've OK'ed it! Sometimes they don't... I'm still pushing for under-ground from the pole. But PG&E takes about 18 months to connect! The Inspector hasn't called me back yet. Let you know what he says...

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 07-14-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
I
E, I can not imagine going 38' into the building without encasement. There is no chance that would be allowed here.

As far as demo guys cutting into it that can always be a problem.

I had to help repair a 4" conduit that was cut by a concrete saw, it was one of eight sets of 600 kcmils that feed a 3000 amp 480 switch gear.

The operator of the saw was OK but it knocked out a neighborhood.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
Dumb question from someone not privy to the sausage-making, err, code-making process: What's the point of the encasement? I can't see how RMC by itself would be measurably less safe than RMC encased in concrete. In theory, sure, anything in 2" of concrete is more protected than the same thing without the concrete. But, in practice, RMC is practically indestructible, absent a structural collapse or vehicle impact.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard