ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Would You Want This Panelboard In Your Home?

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 05-07-2004).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Why is it that most painters are clueless to the fact that we really don't wan't paint inside our panels???? & that there IS a reason for that!?!! (resistance).. This one looks like its working on its 2nd coat! [Linked Image]

At least it has a separate ground bar! [Linked Image]

-Randy

D
I'm pretty firm with customers about not coming for the final until after the painting is done. I also carry painters masking tape on the truck to prevent this.

One of my least favorite things is having the customer tell me he's rolling the paint and when I come back, he hired someone who sprayed and all the wires are white.

Dave

M
The obvious problem with the paint aside, It bothers me to see a small panel such as this stuffed with all those tandem breakers. It seems like a method of cost cutting, instead of installing a nice full-sized panel with full size breakers, and at least a little room for growth.

Joe: I hope they didn't paint the buss connections as well! [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

Someone also suggested that this equipment may have been under water at one time. I think NEMA has a recommended standard or guide for the subject of floods and electrical equipment?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Besides being painted, and probably overcrowded (tandems) it sure looks like a 3 wire panel, as I see no ground conductor, nor ground block!

That leads me to believe it is either a 'sub' or a "no-main", but there's more than 6 switches. Red Tag time!

John

John
E
It is a sub panel the equipment ground bar is in the left side so no issue there. It also is probably an 8/16 type panel. (Eight full size breakers or eight tandem breakers) so no problem there. I guess the main issue here is the paint.

N
The panel looks like a I-T-E panel, most C/B's are Bryant/ Westinghouse,I always cut a cover out of the box the panel came in but that will not stop some bozo from pulling it out, lazy painters w/ their airless and drywall hangers with a router get my blood boiling.

P
Looks like the painter thought that the box was just a junction for neutrals..... [Linked Image]

I hate going into a house and seeing electrical equipment painted over. The worst is when someone has deliberately painted all the switches and outlets to match the wall. [Linked Image]

P
I thought that one is not supposed to reidentify the phase conductors white [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I have seen this many times. If that was my work, I would have it replaced at the painters expense.
I also see red and black conductors under the same phase - I wonder if that is from the same cable?

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard