ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
I see this far too often. If it's on new construction, I tell the GC that on huge change order is needed for replacing the panel(s) ruined by either painter or drywaller.
If it an old house, then I include a new service in the estimate for repair.
This kind of junk I consider sabatage of the electrical work. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 05-11-2004).]

ed
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
The only real question here is: why are there sections of wire that actually _don't_ have paint on them??? [Linked Image]

R
Well, the real story is that all these wires were white before the painter got there, and this was all done intentionaly to comply with 200.7(C). [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
T
I think NEMA has a recommended standard or guide for the subject of floods and electrical equipment?

I believe this was once brought up in another thread. If I remember correctly, any wiring and/or device(s) that had been submerged has to be tested with a megger?

T
I don't lay total blame on the painter. IMO, the electrician is just as responsible (if not more) for protecting his/her work. It is rather simple to place a piece of cardboard over the panel.
Just my 2 cents.

Donnie

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 05-10-2004).]

Donnie
N
Donnie What you said is true. Unfortunatly for too often the cardboard disappears when the drywaller, taper and/or painter show up. I have left cardboard covers in every panel I've roughed in only to find far too many missing when I return for trim out. Some times I have had panels look like the one shown but without the circuit breakers. The buss is usually painted also. This is why as far as I am concerned this is sabatage of electrical work.
There is not enough money in any job to stand guard on a roughed in panel while waiting for the other trades to do thier work. This is why the GC gets the change order. He can sort out who is going to pay for the damage. As long as we install something for protecting the panel, they can pay for the damage.

ed
F
This sort of behavior is common in the UK too I am afraid to say. It doesn't matter how much you cover switches, sockets, Distribution Boards, Service Cut-outs etc..the buggers will still find someway of layering it with paint.

Some use the excuse that the covering means they won't be able to paint the wall properly..others simply don't care.

T
Seen loads of painted switches and outlets here too. I don't mind too much as long as it is distemper, but any paint that won't go off with water gets me mad.
Another common thing I _don't_ like is taking off receptacle covers but not taping the ground scrapers of the Schuko outlets. Will definitely ensure a perfect ground connection.

W
Paint YES humongous problem. tandem breakers(cheap installation). Now on to the question, Joe when was this panel installed? And Im also curious as to whether or not this is a subfeed. it is true that it does have a GROUNDED conductor buss But if it isnt a subfeed then where is the grounding conductor and also if that were the case wheres the bonding screw?

W
and an equipment GROUNDING conductor buss. ok see it now.

[This message has been edited by wirenut73 (edited 05-25-2004).]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard