ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Contrary to what many think, explosion-proof equipment does not prevent an explosion but “contains“ it when it occurs in an electrical enclosure. Exhaust gases/flames are cooled as they pass through many cover threads. http://www.appletonelec.com/PDF/Hazardous1.pdf http://www.appletonelec.com/PDF/Hazardous6.pdf

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
Bjarney, As I said I have not done much of this type of work but I agree with you.

Most electricians do not understand the equipment contains an explosion inside.

Kind of a strange concept in it's own right.

The last explosion proof job I was involved with was all PVC coated components.

480 volt 3 phase outlets and control stations. $$$$$

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
T
OK, so just to make sure I have this right, "explosion proof" keeps the sparks and flame inside the box, rather than allowing it to enter the explosive atmosphere around it?

Would it survive an arc flash?

M
But, the box with all the wires hanging out of it looks like a meter socket. [Linked Image]

See the following definition in Article 100 and Article 500.

Explosionproof Apparatus. Apparatus enclosed in a case that is capable of withstanding an explosion of a specified gas or vapor that may occur within it and of preventing the ignition of a specified gas or vapor surrounding the enclosure by sparks, flashes, or explosion of the gas or vapor within, and that operates at such an external temperature that a surrounding flammable atmosphere will not be ignited thereby.

FPN: For further information, see ANSI/UL 1203-1999, Explosion-Proof and Dust-Ignition-Proof Electrical Equipment for Use in Hazardous (Classified) Locations.

I am pretty sure that the enclosure where the wires are exposed is not a meter socket. Maybe someone can help us with a reference.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
I
Think good yes that is right, pretty cool.

Mean Gene I agree that looks like a meter socket but that is a junction box for hazardous locations.

The cover is a very heavy solid disk that threads into that round hole.

Very fine threads it takes many turns to full tighten it.

You do not even want to think about the cost of this device.

One price of this type of equipment I know is a thermostat for heat trace cable.

Normal location one would cost us about $20.00 the ones we need for hazardous locations cost us almost $800.00 and it is about the size of the round j box on the left between the switches.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
W
Check this out for a picture of a similar box. http://www.hubbellonline.com/wiring/killark/pdf/2SecF/SecF55-F56.pdf

B
The j-box on the far wall looks similar to an Appleton GUBB catalogued at http://www.appletonelec.com/pdf/K-2thru8.pdf The intent is not to stop hazardous vapors from entering, [that’s a loosing battle] but if contained vapors or gases ignite, then the threads or lapped surfaces “cool” the combustion products to limit high-temperature propagation outside the enclosure, reducing the chance of igniting airborne materials outside the enclosure.

NEC Chapter 5 wiring is a whole different animal and almost needs piecemeal assembly drawings to install correctly.

Petrochems, distilleries and NASA launch pads are unique in that regard. As can be imagined, the liability is tremendous.

T
The j-box on the far wall looks similar to...

Reminds me of a guy with whom I used to work. He could ID old auto parts at a glance. People would bring stuff in to try to stump him.

Petrochems, distilleries and NASA launch pads are unique in that regard. As can be imagined, the liability is tremendous.

Fireworks factories?

B
Boy Howdy, TG. That's a little trickier, for vapors and dusts are handled a bit differently.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard