ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Code-accepted or not, one alternative substitute to a receptacle and male cap on SO cord is a female connector body on the SO-cord opposite end mated with a locking-style ‘flanged inlet’ or ‘motor flange’ mounted on the utilization equipment.

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/section-b-datasheet.asp?FAM=Locking_Devices&PN =HBL2515

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-04-2003).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
Yeah, but typically you won't have a fixed cord with a female connector but an extension cord. That practice is pretty common for European garden appliances and larger 3ph stuff like table saws, etc.

Here is the rest of the story!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
I
I have never seen these units installed correctly, and that pump, tank and control box never gets bolted down.

So how about it Joe, would you approve flexible cord for this installation?

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
iwire:

If I was asked to inspect this type of installation I would want to find out if the unit came with a cord cap, or if it was designed to be connected as shown.

I see were the entry was in the bottom at one time, and I will bet that some vandals pulled, or bent the fitting at the end to break the concentric out?

If an electrician was to use conduit or EMT it would not be difficult to terminate into a box, and receptacle that would be a better method like BJ suggested above.

It's been this way for as long as I have been in Boston, going on 25 years!

Joe

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
B
I think the OD-green cord ends are usually called ‘MS connectors.' [mil-std] Their very limited internal creep and strike dimensions {clearances} usually make them an awful choice for any outside AC-power or –control circuits.

[Linked Image from 64.146.180.232]

I
Bjarney, Those are supply and return hydraulic lines with quick connects.

There is no electrical in the "big box" all electrics are mounted to the tank pump combo.

These units are a sore spot with me, our plans will call for a disconnect located outside for a trash compactor, then a non-electrician will come and "install"his pump unit without any concern for the NEC.

This one is a basic install but some are much more elaborate with the pump unit outside but a set of controls placed inside the building near the trash chute.

The common wiring method will be flexible cord or LTFM supported with a few tie wraps often with a hydraulic line for a pressure gage tie wrapped to that.

I would like to have inspectors shoot these down but often it is done after our final.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
B
Oops, iwire — I screwed up big time. I used to have to deal with those at 480V, and the reason was that they were cheap compared to pin-and-sleeve connectors.

W
Regarding iwires point several posts back about 400.7(A)(6) not being correctly applied, I was wondering if 400.7(A)(7) "Prevention of the transmission of noise or vibration" applies?

On the (very few) compactor installations that I've seen, there is invariably some form of weatherproof flexible whip between the disconnect and the pump enclosure.

-Jon

S
Nice looking lug that the white wire terminates at in the disco.

Steve
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard