ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 280 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The piece of flexible metal conduit here was very loose!

I want to know if this unit comes with a cord that is supposed to be plugged into a receptacle?

[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

VII. Provisions for Room Air Conditioners

440.60 General.

The provisions of Part VII shall apply to electrically energized room air conditioners that control temperature and humidity.

For the purpose of Part VII, a room air conditioner (with or without provisions for heating) shall be considered as an ac appliance of the air-cooled window, console, or in-wall type that is installed in the conditioned room and that incorporates a hermetic refrigerant motor-compressor(s).

The provisions of Part VII cover equipment rated not over 250 volts, single phase, and such equipment shall be permitted to be cord-and-attachment-plug-connected.

A room air conditioner that is rated three phase or rated over 250 volts shall be directly connected to a wiring method recognized in Chapter 3, and provisions of Part VII shall not apply.

What About this new rule? Has anyone found the LCDI or AFCI in the cord yet?

440.65 Leakage Current Detection and Interruption (LCDI) and Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI).

Single-phase cord-and-plug-connected room air conditioners shall be provided with factory-installed LCDI or AFCI protection.

The LCDI or AFCI protection shall be an integral part of the attachment plug or be located in the power supply cord within 300 mm (12 in.) of the attachment plug.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 03-18-2003).]

Joe:
Is this device a part of a split system like a "Sanyo" unit, with a remote compressor??
If so, then it must be hard wired, and it is not supplied with a cord & plug.
John

John
J
If I had to make a wild guess, I would guess that the flex was simply slipped over the supplied cord, as a means to reduce theft.

S
A one-chair barbershop opened in a store inside a subway station near work some months ago.

The man has a wall mounted fan-forced air heater hanging from a bracket in the wall. You know the type - brown rectangular box with a louver...looks like a gas heater but there's no gas pipe.

It's hardwired to a stump of AC coming straight ouf of a hole in the wall, similar to what Joe has posted. The difference is there is no box.

The cable just comes straight out of the hole and is wired directly into the terminals of the heater.

Somehow I don't think this is kosher.... [Linked Image]

Hotline1:

This unit was in a hotel room and is one piece with no remote parts.

John:

May be true, but I was not going any further and just took the picture.

The unit cooled my room while away in Arizona last week .. temperature was around 80 degrees outside!

M
Most of these PTACS (package terminal air conditioners) are available with several "power cords" from the manufacturer. All have a nylon pin and sleeve plug on the air conditioner end that only fits that a/c and you can get all sorts of plugs on the other end. In fact, some of these units are multi-voltage and buying different cords let you run them at different voltages.

And you can order them with a whip of greenfield already attached to a box to cover the nylon a/c connector and wires already pulled. I suspect that's what this is.

Link Copied to Clipboard