ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
[Linked Image]

Unused extension cords should have been removed after the last convention show back in 1980!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-04-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

J
Here in Reno such work is not done by electricians, but be the "stage technicians" union. Does anyone know anything about their apprenticeship, etc?

S
if in fact, they are disconnected from a source of power they are removed as an electrical hazard (or anything else)

right?

M
The International Association of Theatrical Stage Electricians (IATSE) apprenticeship program varies from local chapter to local chapter. There is a movement underway to have an industry governing body (probably Entertainment Services & Technology Association, ESTA) to establish a compentency rating system to deal with the lack of personnel certification standards across the industry. They are discussing a certification for electricians, riggers, and a core program for general technicians. One of the problems right now is that IATSE serves theatre, convention, rigging, makeup, costumes, props, film, television, pyrotechnics, truckloading... (you get the idea) depending on the different cities that the local covers.

Mike Wescoatt
Mike:

So you are saying that those who work in these areas are not even licensed electricians who are familiar with the hazards involved, according to the definition of a "Qualified Person" in the 2002 NEC - right?

Qualified Person. One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training on the hazards involved.

sparky: I still would ask that the cords be removed because IF they were connected to an outlet then the story is the same story -- it can lead to an electrocution!!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
sparky: I still would ask that the cords be removed because IF they were connected to an outlet then the story is the same story -- it can lead to an electrocution!!

'IF' would require a 'qualified person', thus no hazard.

N
Oldest story in the book
Question is who pays for the work to fix this kind of junk?
If the owner does not want to pay - who is going to work for free?

ed
S
I see the ends of the wires have turned a nice shade of green. Is there a lot of moisture up there? Must be a leak or something. The strain reliefs are also all rusted.

M
Joe,
You are somewhat correct about licensure. IATSE electricians are not required to be licensed IBEW electricians, but certainly can be. This is why there are some convention spaces here in Las Vegas will only use IBEW electricians to drop power to a client on the floor and then the IATSE or client people will then simply plug it in and turn on the switch.
I would say that the majority of IATSE electricians are qualified personnel, but are qualified for the scope of work that they encounter on a daily basis. Depending on the electrician they would be quite familiar with the NEC articles 518 to 540 which deal specifically with the industry.
Another thing to remember is that the products that are listed for use by these electricians are designed to be of a "Extra Heavy Duty Type" and isn't installed for very long of a time. The infrastructure and permanent equipment and wiring is still being installed by IBEW electricians. The temporary products are generally used as per the manufacturers instructions and according to the NEC.
As indicated by this picture, though, there are some unqualified people out there using equipment and wiring methods not allowed in particular applications. There are also those who have almost no clue what they're doing (i.e. non-electricians). I believe that this is apparent, in different degrees, in any industry. The ESTA Certification is attempting to help shrink this hole. I think all of us here take great pride in making our work neat, clean, and safe, but there are those "electricians" out there who don't as we have seen in a few of the photos here.
Qualified and Licensed are unfortunately not synonomous.

Mike Wescoatt
C
C-H Offline
Sigh. I see this every day. Most people and companies hire electricians to install hard wired appliances or expand circuits. Very few call an electrician when it comes to removing appliances or removing part of a circuit. Usually, the power is just cut by taking the fuse(s) out and cut the cable. At some point later the circuit is energized by someone replacing fuses in an attempt to get some other circuit to work. There's half a dozen live or maybe live cut cables hanging in our office room, similar to Joe's picture. The problem is worsened by the fact that the wiring is surface mounted or placed on "ladders". When a wall is removed or added, junction boxes are left hanging in mid air. From what I read here, Americans have more respect for electrical wiring.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 02-05-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard