ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#104318 01/27/03 01:11 PM
[Linked Image]

This cord and open lamp was found in a hotel boiler room and it was the only light available because the original light was broken.

Do maintenance people have to be qualified to do electrical work in a factory or commercial areas?

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 01-27-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Is that tape wrapped around the lower half of the bakelite shell of the lampholder?

At least it's not one of those awful paper-lined metal shell sockets....where you get a nice shock after the paper gets rotted away from the heat of the lightbulb. Why haven't they been supplanted by Bakelite shells yet?

I doubt the heat coming from those pipes is any good for the rubber (or is it plastic?) zip cord there....

B
WA State requires anybody doing anything more than changing a light bulb to be licensed as a journeyman or ; for residential a residential maintenance electrician ; for commercial a commercial maintenance electrician. Good example of why.

Bob

T
Good picture in favor of wearing a hard hat. Imagine the heat of the bulb after being on for some time and having it contact your head as you climb a ladder (if the bulb is up that high...)

R
Qualified? Here's a scary one.

There's a company not to far from here that 'trains' people how to replace fuses on their production equipment. These people are not electricians. There's an extra set of fuses in the control cabinets for spares. If they pop more than two then they are 'trained' to call the electricians. Sounds like they have a motor loading/sizing problem.

Isn't this just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Anybody else experienced this kind of 'training'.

RSlater,
RSmike

F
I have seen this kind of work in our plant before. After looking in to it we find out that most of the time this light was put in by a mechanic or plumber. They just don't get it about wiring things to code!
The plant where I work pre-tests Electricians prior to hire on code, reading, drwaings, and troubleshooting. They do not test us or require us to keep up to date on code rules. Most of us do it on our own. One problem that we have is so many so called sparky's around the plant, I do this at home, attitude all the time.

One problem that we have is so many so called sparky's around the plant, I do this at home, attitude all the time.

Please expand on this problem.

T
See, it all started when they were young...
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

S
Oh no NO!!

See, that's a CLOSET. No lampholders in closets....

which brings us to....
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000186.html

Hey...at least the switch is in-wall and not a surface mount deal.....could be the bulb is hanging from a pendant and ceiling rose...British style. [Linked Image]

Huh?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard