ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
[Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

A hotel worker painted over this broken receptacle located on the side of a hotel building!

The electrician showed the worker that the exposed contacts were alive!

Not much to be said here, except that 118 volts could be the cause of the death of the painter, or even the kid there in the walkway!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-27-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Joe, not being sarcastic at all, but OSHA will visit our job sites and fine us, yet something like this can go untended untill some one or some child gets hurt, sad priorities.

How was it that this was found? Was the painter shocked?

Roger

B
New Eez-e-Reech™®٤© test points—I like it.

Roger:

I found this outside of a seminar room in Miami at a Holiday Inn. No, the painter didn't get shocked. I am not sure OSHA would visit a Hotel?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
B
On water-based paints these days, are they more conductive than earlier oil-based varieties?

Once got a call from a pizza parlor where a wall of foil-faced wallpaper was biting customers. A receptacle terminal under a wallplate had energized the foil.

T
Here's another fine paint job [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

F
hey thinkgood awhile ago when I moved into a house (New Paint) almost all off recepts. were like that. I hate that

M
I don't see how anyone would get a good night's sleep in a hotel with a maintenance program as poor as this.

(DANGER...engaging rant mode...)
It really irritates me that people feel that wall receptacles and light switches HAVE to be painted the same color as the wall. I can understand painting the cover plate, as long as time is taken to remove it, paint it, and then re-install it. I have seen many receptacles covered over by so many layers of paint that no holes appear at all any more. The only evidence of a receptacle being there at all is a bumpy outline in the paint. [Linked Image] A wall receptacle or a light switch is what it is. Why try to make it disappear?

Mike (mamills)

P
Looking at the inside of the box, it was probably sprayed.

S

Isn't it kind of dangerous holding you meter while using one hand to insert the test pins into the circuit like that?

The red probe could slip and the metal could touch your finger, couldn't it?

I always put the meter on a surface and use two separate hands to hold each probe (stick neutral in first and then the hot).

Joe: Was this an outside receptacle or in a courtyard? It sure looks like it was a picture taken outside.

Thinkgood: That looks like the old receptacles in my apartment. Although mine were two-hole instead of three-hole.

After a while, enough paint leaks into the holes and covers up the contacts, rendering the device unusable, even if the holes are still open.

Sometimes the devices are so old and the contacts have lost their spring-action that the only things holding the plug into the socket are the layers upon layers of paint!!

On another note, what do you guys think about the practice of removing box covers and covering the device with masking-tape prior to painting?

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 01-17-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard