ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
I've seen this sort of thing where the area was remodeled, and the receptacles were then covered by panelling, etc. Makes for some interesting trouble-shooting.
OSHA has jurisdiction wherever a business "affects interstate commerce;" I believe that that is defined as more than a quarter-million in annual business.
I once was not hired to paint an apartment because I proudly told the owner that I would remove cover plates; he felt that would take too much time. "Just roller over them."
Incidentally, I recently saw that Snap-on is selling a pair of "composite" (no metal} needle-nose pliers, that they claim are as strong as the steel ones. Nice if true; usefull in fixing this broken receptacle!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
Many years ago, I worked as on-site maintenance for an apartment complex. It was a pretty nice place, one of the more upscale complexes in the area.

We had a guy who was an outside contractor who did the painting of empty apartments. I don't know what he was paid per apartmet but he could paint a two bedroom apartment in about two hours.

We sanded and refinished all floors after he was done so he didn't have to worry about splatter and we had all walls patched and ready for him. He didn't tape, didn't believe in a brush. He just painted over light switches, outlets, nails in walls, light fixture lense covers if we forgot to remove them.

The picture was taken outside of my meeting room, see the grass in image 2.

Last time I was there they installed a new receptacle and cover and now are in Violation of the rule in 410.57 because of the type of cover they used!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
B
There’s another fun thing painters sometimes do in an institutional/office setting. They remove every receptacle and switch plate marked with circuit numbers, and then “shuffle” the plates before reinstalling them.

T

B
nyuck nyuck nyuck, indeed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard