ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
[Linked Image]

Herb Porter's page link ...... http://www.hpelectricalconnection.com/

Fixed by JT

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 01-16-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
joe....help me out here...is that a bare ground wire i see on the gfci circuit breaker i see.right side 2nd from the bottom.

maybe someone hook up the gfci cb wrong and thats the reason for all the overheated neutrals?????

M
Hi Joe;
There are several things I notice about this pic.; 1) unless I'm not looking at the pic correctly, there don't appear to be any romex connectors securing the cables to the box in the bottom of the picture (except for the large center one, of course), 2)There are lots of cables crammed into a few small KO's, and 3) while not really important, the pic. appears to be upside down (notice the dust on the interior surface where the main conductors enter).

There are certainly some serious issues with the neutral buss - double-lugging, overheating (some of them look badly burned).

Mike (mamills)

P
Mike is right, either the picture or the UL sticker is upside down.

S
It does look upside down. Now it makes me dizzy to look at it. [Linked Image]

Scott

L
ok.you turn the pic around...make it 2nd from the top left. [Linked Image]

is that a new way to hookup a gfci cb

G
Love that UF comming in. What I raelly want to see is how it's getting into the service conduit on the other end. That should be a good sight to see.

L
joe..after looking at the picture again i think i made a mistake.at first it look like a bare ground wire on the breaker(first cup of coffee)but looking at it again mid way up the wire from the breaker it looks to be off white or tan.but something is missing...the hot conductor?or is it there and i just don't see it.

J
Is it off brown color or is it burnt/overheated?

M
Well, I hope I'm not clouding the issue too much about the GFCI's here. It looks like the one near the top on the left side is missing a wire. The curled up white wire is not really in question (except for the discoloration where it connects to the neutral buss). If the other wire (looks like a shade of brown) is the ungrounded (hot) conductor for this circuit, then where is the white grounded conductor (which I am assuming should be connected to a terminal on the GFCI...i.e the load neutral)? It's hard to determine where the brown (?) wire is going because of the label overlay on the pic.

Now look at the other GFCI at the lower right. Again, there is the curly wire (which looks to be double-lugged into the neutral buss). There is also a brown (?) wire connected to this GFCI, which appears to possibly be spliced to a white wire with the yellow wirenut (the load neutral for this circuit?). There also appear to be two ungrounded conductors, a red and a black, connected to the GFCI.

Am I missing something here? I'm not sure that any of this would have anything to do with the discolored wires at the neutral buss, but things just don't seem to add up with these two GFCI's. Thanks for any clarification you may be able to give me.

Mike (mamills)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard