ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Gwz Offline
If Service Equipment ( the Neutral and Equipment Grounding) bus are the same.

Should be a Screw, green by todays' code, in the open hole (just below the Grounded Service conductor) to bond the bus to the enclosure unless one of the wire conductors does this function.

[This message has been edited by Gwz (edited 01-19-2003).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

W
Joe,unless I am going blind it appears that the feeders, entering the panel the 2 hots are copper and the neut is aluminum.Can is not bonded.Splices in a panel is a no,no.I really like the conductors that they used as cable ties on the neut's.The ground fault breaker looks like it's missing a wire.

W
If you take note to the conductors on the GFI on the bottom right you can see what appears to be two conductors attached to the line lugs (1 BK,1 RD)and none on the breaker immediately above,suppose the electrician didn't know that you couldn't use a GFI on a mutiwire branch circuit.Also I dont notice a main and I seem to count a few more than six disconnects so this must be a sub panel(oops) I cant see a Grounding conductor or a ground bar,maybe he thought it was a main service,on the other hand cant see a chassis bond.If it is a sub panel he may have a pull box not in view where he managed to route UF in and up the pipe. As far as the overheated neutral conductors based on what I see he may have both conductors of the multiwire branch circuits on the same phase.

Wiresketch and Wirenut87; WELCOME to ECN.

I don't "see" enough ground conductors for the amount of MNC/UF in this panel. I came accross a few overheated neutral messes similar to this. The cause was tracked down to a energy efficient lighting retrofit with electronic ballasts with high THD's. The neutrals (#12) had >25 amps, and the quality of the terminations left a lot to be desired.

This "mess" probably is a sub-panel, as it has no main CB. No ground conductor, no ground bar, and "where's all the grounds"???

What's with the red/white striped "reflector at the top right area?? Hiding something??

John

John
F
humm that is very instering part to see the wires on nueutral connetions but i wondering if someone did install it and did not toqure the nuteral wires correct e.g. loose connetion . or not clean the wires at the termail strip i belive that can cause the probem right there

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Here's a copy of the way the picture is posted on the web site identified above.

I changed it and because the question marks were upside down I covered them with the striped patch.

[Linked Image from hpelectricalconnection.com]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
T
Joe,

The way you have posted it now I wonder why the tape and debris on the top dosen't fall down?

T
It sticks from the static electricity. Somebody should have gotten a lot of static for putting in an electric panel that way. Apparently, they left it all behind.

Welcome, Thom [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 02-06-2003).]

The panelboard picture is one of a panelboard that was posted on the site above by somone who was not aware of the way in which the picture should look. The picture was posted and still mis UP SIDE DOWN.

I hope this helps to clear up the questions asked here.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard