ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Comments please......................

A friend and I was sitting watching the game, he jumped up and yells the wall is on fire!!!! I look over and see a outlet with a small flame sparking and smoking like hell. He throws baby power on the outlet and I turn the breaker off. (SOme reason it did not trip the breaker???) Well now I have no power on the first floor. I disconnected the outlet it's all chared up, still no power. I unpluged everything else on that circut and still no power. I changed the breaker still no power. It must be in the wall. The only that was plugged into that plug was a paper shredder and it was turned off. Will Insurance pay for the charges for it to be fix. I'm guessing they will have to tear into the wall. This suck this happend right before christmas. Is there anything else I can do to try and fix it myself.

Suggestion: Hire a licensed electrician to fix the problems!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-29-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Baby Powder???

Walk to the yellow pages and open up to Electrician. Or tell us where you are and maybe one of the electricians on this board is in your area.

Scott

S
if memory serves,
a class C fire = powder, got to give credit where due....

S
Granted sparky you are right. Most fire exinguishers are dry chemcial. I just don't know if baby powder is the right powder.
Scott

Baby powder is corn starch isn't it? I'd say that'd be quite flammable!

[Linked Image]

Corn Starch Modified Ignition temp 200ÂșC NEC Code T3.

Source: This link .

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-28-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
Regarding the baby powder...lots of variables at play here.

It could have been a small flame...and the dumping of the baby powder probably suffocated it before the stuff could get hot enough to burn.

Also, there is talc in most of these powders. I don't think talc burns. What is the percentage of talc vs. cornstarch in baby powder?

When I was a kid, I tried to set fire to a small bag of sawdust with a few matches out on the curb.

Since it was pretty densley packed, it only scorched and smoldered for a bit...but the stuff didn't erupt into flames - no oxygen could get through.

Of course...sawdust can be flammable if it's floating around in the air...or loosely scattered on the floor.

T
I recall seeing a presentation, as a child, at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. Some of the entertainment consisted of:

A $100 bill was set on fire yet not consumed...a balloon filled with Hydrogen was rigged up to explode...and then the fellow putting on the show held a handful of corn starch, put a match to it, and tossed it in the air. That's when I learned that corn starch is quite flammable.

J
The cheap dry chemical extinguishers (class B & C only) have a white powder that is a form of baking SODA.
This is a good example of why I like pipe; you can replace wires without tearing up the wall.
Mike holt pointed out that, according to Ohm's law, a 25 Ohm ground will never draw 20 amps. Add some length to the wire, and it's quite possible to arc-weld with a wire, and not ever trip the breaker! Remember this, the next time someone says "it's only 110v, 20a!"
As for the repair, the bad news is that this is one that is probably beyond the skills/tools of the typical homeowner. It's time to hire a pro. Unless, that is, you like this sort of entertainment.

L
joe...at least somebody was home at the time it started.did he call the fire dept.if so he can get a copy of the report an turn it in to his insurance company.if not,call them anyway,can't hurt.

G
Why would you have baby powder around while you were watching the game?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard