ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The 2002 NEC includes the following:

Purpose

90.1(D) Relation to International Standards. The requirements in this Code address the fundamental principles of protection for safety contained in Section 131 of International Electrotechnical Commission Standard 60364–1, Electrical Installations of Buildings.

FPN: IEC 60364-1, Section 131, contains fundamental principles of protection for safety that encompass protection against electric shock, protection against thermal effects, protection against overcurrent, protection against fault currents, and protection against overvoltage. All of these potential hazards are addressed by the requirements in this Code.

Does anyone have the link to this text?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
I'll stand happily corrected, but like ANSI {uhm, IEEE, NFPA, ASTM} texts, they seem to have a healthy price tag, severely limiting "free" 'net access.
www.iec.ch

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
C
C-H Offline
Bjarney: The IEC, just like the other organisations, are financed by selling standards. The price is based on number of pages and drawings I think.

(I did think about getting the standard which contains all the plugs and sockets of the world, but it costed hundreds of dollars.)

Joe:
As far as I have understood, the IEC 60364-1 contains only general guidelines, not specific requirements. It's not a "how to" guide like the NEC. The European codes are based on it, just like the Australian/New Zealand code.

I have read the comparison you link to. It does point out some interesting things. E.g. the IEC is based on the 230/400V system and on other IEC standards for things like breakers and panels whereas the NEC is based on the 120V systems and relies on UL to ensure that breakers etc. are safe. Therefore, UL and the NEC are rather closely connected. This makes it very difficult to wire to the NEC without UL listed devices. The reverse is probably true as well. (Note that the passage cited by Joe only says that the NEC adresses the principles of section 131. There must be a large number of other sections...)

I wonder if it would not be possible to create one common code for the whole world. The wiring material used doesn't have too look the same to be under one code. It has to meet the same safety requirements, but
it doesn't matter if the box behind the receptacle is round or square, as long as it is grounded if it's metal or is fire resistant if it's plastic.

The comparison pointed out several unadressed issues in the IEC 60364 code and I think the IEC has taken steps to adress them. (E.g. voltages higher than 1000V)

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 12-30-2002).]

T
This may be off-topic, but http://www.aes-soft.com has the "Voltages of the World" freeware program that does give some of the standards. (It had been mentioned on the board here before in another thread.)

Link Copied to Clipboard