ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 144 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Don't recall the so-called flame, and if I did see it I would probably have deleted it if it was on this violations thread.

See the definition of Luminare for lighting fixture.

Also, the only restriction I know of is that the L...H..der is not alloed in a clothes closet.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
So it is written!

THANKS JOE!!

Have a good weekend y'all! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

G
Gwz Offline
This picture does not show a 'storage' space (shelf) above the hanger rod. 410.8(A).

As Joe has pointed-out, procelain (key or keyless) Lamp Holders are not Lighting Fixtures ( Luminaires ) and are not permitted in Clothes Closets (CC).

A side note;

In the typical 24" or even 30" deep closets, why do most electricians install the outlet in the center of the ceiling?
The light, in most cases, will be casting a shadow on the rear side of the closet where the light is most needed.

Why not install the outlet in the ceiling close to the door or in the wall just above the door?

The light will then cast a much-less shadow on the rear side of the closet.

S
Just read about a house fire recently in Burlington, Ontario.

Heh, you guessed it.

Fire Marshall says the light bulb in the closet started it.

J
You're right, Joe. I looked it up in my IAEI book, and it is not enough, to meet code for new installations, to simply install a screw-in fluorescent bulb; the fixture must be changed.
For Joe Homeowner, looking to reduce an existing hazard, I think a cool bulb beats a hot one. Remember, new code only applies to new work. "There shall be no ex poste facto legislation..."

G
Gwz Offline
Was the original installation installed per the code adopted at the time of the installation ?

[This message has been edited by Gwz (edited 01-23-2003).]

E
1940 NEC Chapter 12.
Lampholders; Lighting Fixtures; Rosettes; Plug Receptacles; Lamps
Lampholders (Sockets And Lamp Receptacles)

1204.(4162) In Clothes Closets. Lampholders in clothes closets shall be installed on the ceiling or on the wall above the door. Drop cords shall not be installed in clothes closets.

Al Hildenbrand
ElectricAL

Good information! I will look at my copy when I return home. I would like to see what they were calling out as a "lampholder" then.

I may have an old catalog so that I can check it out. In the meantime I deleted the message I posted indicating that lampholders were never permitted in a clothes closet.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
G
Gwz Offline
1956 NEC;

4156. LAMPHOLDERS,SCREW-SHELL TYPE. Lampholders of the screw-shell type shall be installed for use as lampholders only.

4113. FIXTURES NEAR COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL. Lampholders installed over specially combustible material shall be of the unswitched type and unless individual switches are provided, shall be located at least 8 feet above the floor, or shall be otherwise so located or guarded that the lamps cannot be readily be removed or damaged.

G
Gwz Offline
1956 NEC;

4115. FIXTURES IN CLOTHES CLOSETS. Fixtures in clothes closets shall be installed on the ceiling or on the wall above the door. Pendants shall not be installed in clothes closets.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard