ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#10395 06/12/02 02:09 PM
G
If we space recepts 12' apart as allowed by code, 3% drop allows us 5 recepts (60') and a 5% drop allows us 8 recpts (100'). Either seems a bit restrictive.

I would expect that if there was a real world problem (circuits drawing 80%) more people would be using shared neutrals.

I suspect that most high current loads are heating loads, including hair driers. For those voltage drop is not as important.

#10396 06/12/02 02:28 PM
B
Redsy: "...they do seem to be getting more demanding"

We all could use more of these self-important mastermind sh*t stirrers. Time to start asking for credentials beyond some tired six-hour course at a Motel 5, that came for an extra $200 when the dude bought his ‘opportunity creating’ glorified plug tester.

#10397 06/14/02 01:37 AM
D
Redsy is right about the Home Inspection industry becoming more forceful in pushing their "recommendations". The home inspector I spoke of includes a notation of "possible safety hazard" beside his more strident repair/replace recommendations in his report. His escape clause is a small FPN of his own that states something to the effect that his lists of noted defiencies are just recommendations, and should always be inspected by a licensed electrician. Unfortunately, his FPN is buried with the rest of the small print, where few realtors and homeowners bother to read. What really gets me is his title of "Inspector" alone gives him the guise of being an authority on this, so both the realtor and homeowner takes his word as the final answer. But, I have had to defend my replies with the open NEC in front of them, if my opinion differed with his.
While this may sound like ego and pride talking, and I don't mind the work these inspectors sometimes provide (God knows we need it right now), it ain't my style to fix something that ain't broke, and charge people for it.
Although, I have had other contractors shake their heads at me for turning down easy money like that. [Linked Image]

Now that I've hi-jacked this thread from it's original direction, I'll steer it back by saying we try to size the circuit according to the anticipated load, and use subpanels judiciously where we can.

Dallas

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard