ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
In 99NEC200-6(a) “An insulated grounded conductor of No. 6 or smaller shall be identified by… three continuous white stripes on other than green insulation along its entire length.” It looks like maybe the pictured “neutral” wires could fit that description, or is that stretching it?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Hmmm, I guess if one were to trace a red line and see if they are indeed three seperate ones, it'd be OK...

I stand corrected, BJ!

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
L
Personally havn't seen the new 2/2 romex yet, but
wouldn't it be useful with the home automation
equipment with a top feed 3-way where you need
the "noodle" at the switch, might come in handy there to. Just a thought !

R
Let me tell you a little more about the installation since I'm the photographer.

It's used to feed a modular panel installation. 'Conduit' is used to feed the subpanel. The mocked-up panel is in a show area for our customers along with our products. The people that see this panel are designers of offices and not electricians or NEC gurus.

The separate neutrals are one of our companies selling points. Think of all those PCs out there with all those harmonics and imbalanced loads. Our modular panel system helps out by having this multiple neutral system. I'm not sure why the neutral couldn't just be sized larger but I'm guessing it was a physical sizing problem. My guess is the larger neutral would not fit into the modular panel wiring system.

I showed the subpanel to one of our electromagicians that works in the plant and he saw the problem immediately.

I'm not sure who or what wired the panel. It was probably wired for aesthetics rather than for NEC. I just think it's humorous that it's so proudly displayed. I'm going to see if I can get it fixed. Then maybe I call for an inspection. [Linked Image]

RSlater,
RSmike

R
Bjarney,
That looks like a red stripe on white insulation, not a white stripe on red insulation, and there is only one stripe, the code required 3 stripes.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
R
Oh yeah almost forgot. The panel specifically says only two #12 allowed under any terminals.

No romex here either. It's all THHN.

There's a neutral bar on the other side of the panel. Ideally the bonding screw should be removed. Green on one side....white on the other other.....boy girl boy girl.

I've always thought that a stipe down the netural meant it was isolated. These are the same neutral at the panel. I think they should all be white with no stripe. Could someone provide their insight?

RSlater,
RSmike

G
Gwz Offline
RSmike,

Are you sure that the two conductors per terminal was for all terminations or only for the EGC's.
Usually Grounded circuit conductors are only allowed one conductor per terminal. 110-14(A).

B
on a job i was on
we were making up smurf tube with serval 1900 boxs, each circuit had to have it on neutral, so thy came up and sent to us neutral wire with traser so thy would know with neutral went with which circuit.(smurf tube were made up in the shop and ship out to job

R
Hey Gwz....me thinks you are correct.

RSlater
RSmike

H
Do you know how many times I have to argue with contractors about putting 2 neutral wires under 1 terminal. They still don't get it. The answer back to me is, "Look at the panel board. It says right on there that you can install up to three wires of the same size up to # 10 wire." I tell them to read the panel board again. It says 2 or more grounding condutors, not grounded conductors. seesh!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard