ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
[Linked Image]

A high pressure pump used for a mist cooling system is in this enclosure that is laying on the ground.

In a heavy rain the motor could be easily submerged in water.

Any experiences, comments or suggestions? How about the receptacle cover?

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-07-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
Joe:
Well, here goes my two cents worth...
I've seen a lot of discussion on ECN about using "bubble covers" on outdoor receptacles, so I would assume that one is called for here. If there is concern about the pump/motor being submerged, wouldn't simply placing it on a taller base (or better yet, fastening it more or less permanently in place to prevent an accidental fall into the water). Is this even a suitable location (outside)for something like this? The enclosure, as is, is certainly not watertight, what with the penetrations for the low and high pressure hoses, and possibly the power cord as well. Then there is the problem of the motor overheating from lack of ventilation.

I am concerned about the close proximity of the receptacle to the faucet. It is not at all uncommon for water to spray out of hose fittings as well as the packing around the valve handle. In this case, would a bubble cover even be enough to prevent water from entering the receptacle?

Mike (mamills)

S
And the receptacle (next to the spigot) isn't a GFCI....

Isn't that socket a bit too close to the spigot? What if the water connection springs a leak at the hose coupling?

T
That looks like the motor and pump mounted externally to the side of a pvc j-box.What purpose does the j-box serve?(maybe a filter inside [Linked Image] )The pump looks like a submersible,though I could be wrong.
It definitely needs a gfci receptacle and an in-use cover.What does the other cord feed?(an irrigation controller)?

Donnie
J
I may be wrong, but...
By "mist cooling," as well as the appearance of this unit, I'm going to guess that this is a device attached to a machine tool, and is used to spray a mist on the area where the cutting tool meets the metal.
If that is so, the item on the outside of the box is simply a filter. The (much smaller) pump is inside the box- if there even is one. (Many of these units are powered by compressed air). The box would also include relays, etc., to automatically control the unit.
I would ask why the unit wasn't mounted on the wall. I agree that this would be a good place for a "bubble" cover and GFI. The enclosure is almost certainly NEMA-4X, and thus capable of keeping out a surprising amount of water, even if it isn't technically a "submersible" enclosure. That's assuming that the penetrations are properly sealed- which I doubt.
I'd like to ask: IF you were to mandate a distance between water taps and outlets, how would you prhase it?

The principle behind misting is to create a "curtain" of mist around the perimeter of a patio cover or sitting area. As the mist flash-evaporates it will draw hot air out of the area creating what is called a cool zone. At the same time the curtain acts as a barrier to keep hot air from intruding on the cool zone.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
J
Thanks, Joe. I really mis-understood the application.

Link Copied to Clipboard