ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 476 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sean B ..... Tell us your story here!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Does the Receptacle below the panel comply with 406.8(A) (Being "like" an overhang or porch) or would it require a bubble as per 406.8(B)?

Not trying to be nit-picky, but I interpret "and the like" to mean any place protecting from a "driving rain".

And I think bubbles are ugly!

I'm going by memory here, do I have the code sections right?

Kudos on the use of PVC for the nipple!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 10-04-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
IT actually is just under the panel [Linked Image] Customer wanted to add Central A/C and a Spa on existing service [Linked Image] anywho, that wall pictured was invaded by honeybees and was all warped, Note the black screws I used to try to straighten out to the right of meter base. AHJ passed the service for reconnect.yeah, I hate bubbles. we do not have to use them here, the plug just needs to be weatherproof when closed. When POCO came back, they used same old service wire from pole. That old wire is actually paralleled feeding two houses with 200A services!!!
One of the POCO guys remarked "I Guess we will have to upgrade our wire pretty soon,huh?"
*NOTE* the old ate up neutral that was reused for new service. These guys are really "above the law" I guess [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Sean WB (edited 10-04-2002).]

I did not get as think so badly as you shocked I did.
S
yeah sparky , I was trying to take a snap pic of the ground terminal in meter base, a subject you and I were discussing a while back. we have to bond them (EGC) to panel even if you use a rigid nipple. It was starting to rain after reconnect, so I hurried up and finished up [Linked Image]I am going back for some more "cleaning up" of the electrical, I'll try and get a pic then.

S
Nice job Sean.

looks like a 250-142(A)(1) GEC connection there in pix #1, does your area normally allow this?

good memory Virgil,
yeah ugly bubbles....stick way out, don't last, and no one really closes them down anyhow...

S
Nice job Sean,

out of curiousity , is that the GEC i see wrapped around the old weaherhead and bugged onto the noodle?

S
Yep, Thats it , at least they coated it with some good 30 year paint [Linked Image]
there was hardly a connection left. I wouldnt trust that to carry short circuit [Linked Image]

T
Sean are ya'll still running the GEC this way?Who's the poco there?

Donnie
S
No, but I am runnig GEC to meter base and to panel as required, Im under the VEC cooperative.
The poco is apparantly worried that if the service neutral became open, which is likely under the conditions they leave their wire in , then there will be a fault path. [Linked Image]

W
Do you need a bubble if you don't have a permnament cord connected like an appliance,coke machine etc.???

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard