ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#1035 04/18/01 03:47 PM
W
wayne Offline OP
I know we all make short cuts sometime. But we try and stay within our methodology in practicing good workmanship as well as quality work.

The other day I went to look at a house that the people had problems with blowing fuses. The person had already had one electrican, he said he was an electrican, to give her a estimate on changing her service.

Anyway The owner had purchased the home a few years ago. She had purchased a window A/C and had installed it in a different window than where the prior owners had theres. She hires a ( ELECTRICAN ) to install a 220 outlet for her A/C. The place where the old A/C rec was,is just into the next room. The so call electrican installed a male on a 10/2 romex run it along the floor line around the stair case and into the room by the window A/C. I thought to myself what a lazy as- and so unprofessonal.

he could have set a junction under the floor ( which I had already check out) and spliced it and then run it into the wall and done a professonal job.

Some people out there are after a buck and don't care about the safety and welfare of others as well as hurt the reputation of the good guys.
Any Comments or Suggestions.

Wayne.

#1036 04/18/01 04:30 PM
Wayne,

I don't know any Electricians that would do something like that. It's funny how many people will trust anyone to do their Electrical work but look for references from the person cutting their lawn. [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
#1037 04/18/01 05:01 PM
W
wayne Offline OP
Your right Bill. I guess that goes to let people know that anybody can call themselves a electrican,plumber, ect. That don't mean that they are or ever been for that matter.

The quality of work preformance can tell alot about a person's trade.

Wayne. [Linked Image]

#1038 04/18/01 05:04 PM
Tom Offline
Wayne,

Things like this go on all the time.

Having a license does not make an electrician, it usually means you know how to read (except in WV where 33% or more licenses were grandfathered).

Most people feel that if the lights are on & the receptacles work, it must be OK.

A little bit of knowledge is...

All you can do is your best, try to keep your customers safe.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#1039 04/18/01 07:12 PM
Z
WAYNE,

I know what you mean. Here in NEPA, a guy gets a new truck and a ladder and he thinks he is an electrician.

ZAPPED

#1040 04/18/01 07:15 PM
S
NO liability insurance
NO codebook
NO permit
NO concern for anyone's safety
NO license, or similar qualification
NO regard for the trade

should i start a "just say NO!" electrical ad?

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard