ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
There are a few violations here, and the code calls for protection from nails, screws. etc., when the cables pass through a stud where there is less than 1-1/4 inches from the edges of bored holes, and when they are run in parallel with the stud, joists, or rafters.

The staples are likley to cause damage because they appear to be driven with a sledge hammer!

I always recommend using "insulated" staples.

The two gang nonmetallic box may also be too small, and that will be the subject of another discussion here.

Please feel free to add your comments, they'll be in the interest of safety!

Reference 300.4

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 06-08-2004).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
some nail plates & stackers might save this.

i cannot tell if the k'o's are 'captive' or not, i do see two in one ko there....

the 1-1/4" would also apply to the closest ko to wood, but that is probably being picky...

i'm all for insulated staples. there are many older homes with what is apparently a dry cellar here.
Yet these cellars are loose stone old world construction, and take on some moisture, rust the staples...i suspect that some are actually sucked in tighter as the seasons come and go...... [Linked Image]

S
a few more picky observations...

i prefer to 'loop' , or rather purposely install some out of box slack. This depends on a captive or non-captivating ko, and there is allowable staple/hole/secure measurement to box ko allowed.

aslo, look at how the mark is top box. this is fine if the EC is using ALL the same boxes throughout, i just find that one style does not fit all.
so i use a plastic/ steel assortment, thus a center box measurement insures a consistency off AFF......

picky, picky, picky...

T
looks like they drilled the hole using a carbide toothed gopher.

how long would it take to clean up the splinters?

Trainwire

T
LOL @ TRAINWIRE [Linked Image]

Donnie
B
Seems more like a carbide toothed gopher punch rather than a drill, if you ask me. [Linked Image]

Doncha just mean a Beaver?

Side note:

A friend of mine is named John Beaver. He's a general/building contractor. He gave some homemade pork sausage to a friend once with his last name marked on the packaging. You could guess the "hilarity ensuing" after the friend's missus spots said meat package in the freezer with the word "Beaver" on it!

</threadjack>

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
T
Sorry everybody, but I've always heard it as gopher. In this business, it comes from the old days, when they would make big holes is a sheet of steel, by running a whole lotta little holes together. I will see if I can get a pix of that.
Trainwire

Link Copied to Clipboard