ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#103159 05/09/02 09:46 PM
Joe:

I thought I would take a moment to add these pictures to your hall of shame.

[Linked Image]

I am a senior electrical designer, and the consulting firm I work for was contracted to survey a local county park's buildings and equipment here in western New York.

The first picture is of a fueling depot for the park equipment. This fueling depot is used every day to fill the gas tanks of all sorts of equipment, pick-up trucks, mowers, graders, dump trucks etc.

Rather than use a conduit for support, note how gracefully the ROMEX cable is draped around the tank level gauge. 120 volt wires are wire-nutted together in open air. Hey, at
least it has a ground, and they even taped them all together!

A picture is worth a thousand code violations!

[Linked Image]

The second picture is of a water pump, in a pump house approximately 30 feet from the fueling depot. This is a view looking in the front door, at the main pump.

The flex conduit scrapes on the flywheel when running. The flex conduit is supported by the wires inside it, which are wound together and secured with MASKING tape.

The peckerhead cover is gone, completely
exposing the motor leads. My favorite detail though, is the metal rods poised to fall on this complete assembly at any minute.

Photos Courtesy of Robert Seekins

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 08-21-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
WOW!!!! Perfect timing. I was just looking for an example of the word unconscionable

R
Maybe someone sold them some "Vapor proof Tape", OR maybe they are going for a Group Darwin Award!!!

OH I've been waiting for this...

(Sorry, Joe, for going out on a limb in your thread here...)

[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]

I made it myself! Copy and enjoy if you like it...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-10-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
This reminds me of a story. I used to work at a place that had an equipment yard that had a 500 gallon propane tank, a 3,000 liquid oxygen tank, a semi trailer of acetylene bottles and a two solvent tanks. Of course there was no smoking in the yard. Leaving work one day with the draftman we walked through the yard. As soon as we got out of the yard he took a puff on the cigarette he had been carrying. I yelled at him and he said it was OK because he was covering up the lit cigarette and no one could see it.

The place in the pictures is just waiting to explode.
Scott

M
Robert: I hope that you (or your photos delivered to the right people) can shut this facility down before someone loses their life...It's just a matter of time. It never ceases to amaze me how someone can create such a lethal situation for no reason other than to save a few bucks.

In the second photo, I see something that looks like a small piece of rope tied to one of the wires. I wonder if that's the disconnect [Linked Image] for this pump?

This place ranks high on the list of recipients for Virgil's excellent award.

Mike (mamills)

S
Yes, the good news here is that the information we present will be used to plan and prioritize the repairs to problem areas such as this.

Bob
S
I sent similar pictures over a yr ago to our local state electrical inspection office, nothing happened.... the hazards still exist.....or maybe they're waiting for the fire?

S
Just thought i would let you know that both of these violations have now been repaired.

Bob
OK! Please send me the "after" images?

electricalinspector@netzero.com

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-27-2005).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

Link Copied to Clipboard