ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A rigid conduit threadless coupling. The 2002 NEC now prohibits this type of connection.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 03-13-2005).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Tom Offline
Joe,

I'm a little tardy getting my new codebook, but I can gaurantee the '99 code prohibits this.

The people that see this everday probably think that it is relatively safe because the gap is so small that the wires aren't likely to be damaged. Little do they realize that the metal raceway is usually the only equipment ground & there is the possibility of a serious hazard downstream of this fitting.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Tom: When you get your 2002 NEC read the following, and see the new last sentence.
For IMC -- 342.42 Couplings and Connectors.
(A) Threadless. Threadless couplings and connectors used with conduit shall be made tight. Where buried in masonry or concrete, they shall be the concretetight type. Where installed in wet locations, they shall be the raintight type. Threadless couplings and connectors shall not be used on threaded conduit ends unless listed for the purpose.

For RMC -- 344.42 Couplings and Connectors.
(A) Threadless. Threadless couplings and connectors used with conduit shall be made tight. Where buried in masonry or concrete, they shall be the concretetight type. Where installed in wet locations, they shall be the raintight type. Threadless couplings and connectors shall not be used on threaded conduit ends unless listed for the purpose.

Joe,

This was not prohibited before?

Bill

Bill
Bill:

The last sentence is new in both sections, so that situation was not considered before the 2002 NEC. I found that the sentence is missing in the RMC article in my copy of the 2002 NEC, and the vertical rule is also missing in the IMC article. In addition the NEC CD Master PDF file is with the vertical rule in one section, but not in the other because of missing words.

I expect that we will see errata sheets on this soon from NFPA.

In the meantime I now have my copy of the NFC Fire Codes update CD and the corrections were made.

As far as the actual situation, this was found on a parking lot surface and the subject of EGC came to mind and the fact that the fitting was not designed to be used this way, and there were tripping hazards as well. Tom's points are well taken and it would violate 300.10.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-18-2001).]

M
Bill;
Isnt that a emt coupling on rigid conduit ?
Didnt it have to be listed for the material used and approved for its use ?
It would be approved for emt because when you tighten it you dimple the emt helping to prevent it separation. Where with ridgid or imc it would be almost impossible to put that dimple in it.
Just asking ?

R
motor-T,

Set screw and compression fittings are available for rigid & IMC. Check out a Crouse-Hinds catalog.

Joe,

It seems that we've got 2 issues going with this one. I was questioning the use of a set screw coupling in a wet location.

Bill

Bill
Bill:

Both 2002 NEC and earlier rules indicate permitted use of threadless fittings in a wet location when they are of the raintight type.

The point I want to make is that the "new code" will not allow them to be used on threaded conduit ends unless they are listed for the purpose.

So now we should see a new product that will be listed.

R
Crouse-Hinds SSR series set-screw fittings for Rigid & IMC are concrete & rain tight. I don't believe they are acceptable on threaded ends. Page 9F-6 of the 2000 catalog.

(No, I don't work for CH)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard