ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#102833 01/07/07 03:51 PM
J
jay8 Offline OP
I dont watch this show but from what
I understand he is some kind of code police. I did catch his commercial for Maxwell house coffee, and in it he is powered up his residential job site with and extension cord from the neighbours house. Big no-no in my jurisdiction. thought it was kind of funny.

#102834 01/07/07 04:45 PM
J
Generally I find that he is on the level, but he has definitely made a few mistakes on his show for sure.

1. He once called Knob and Tube wiring "old aluminum wiring" even though it is actually tinned copper.
2. He once suggested that abandoned wiring should be set up in a bolted short so that it will trip a breaker if energized (that's so unsafe I can't imagine anyone on this board would dream of doing that).

Although, generally, a lot of the stuff he does say and do is above code requirements. I actually have a copy of his book, and he does have a lot of good ideas that go beyond minimum code and really would improve the quality of a lot of construction.

While I am sure everyone makes mistakes from time to time, I do feel he does a lot more good than harm. Especially since on his show he does bring in the proper tradespeople and pull the proper permits. He does do everything through the proper channels with the right people, so overall compared to many I think he's a good role model.

#102835 01/07/07 11:29 PM
R
I really like his show. I like it how he freaks out when they find all those flying splices in the walls. On one of his shows they found around 39 concealed jbs in the wall and ceiling, lol. I think it is the best home reno show ever made. He must be making the big bucks now.

#102836 01/08/07 08:38 AM
E
I love how some contractors hate him. It makes it easy to tell the difference between a good GC and a hack.

Alot more homeowners ask for permits after watching his show.

Ya know he's alot shorter than you think. Must only cast short people to make him look taller!

#102837 01/08/07 08:40 AM
E
I love how some contractors hate him. It makes it easy to tell the difference between a good GC and a hack.

Alot more homeowners ask for permits after watching his show.

Ya know he's alot shorter than you think. Must only cast short people to make him look taller!

#102838 02/22/07 08:13 PM
C
We had Mr. Holmes here in Edmonton at the last home show a month or so ago and he is just like he is on the television show. He's obviously been a GC for a long time because no one could ask a home reno question that he didn't have a good answer for. I watch the show whenever I get the chance and he always "does it right" - usually way above any of the codes I'm familiar with.

I respect the guy. We need more folks like him around.

BTW, he stands about 6 feet tall. I'm 5'8" and he had me beat by about 4".

Link Copied to Clipboard