ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
F
frank Offline OP
CEC rule 10-106 (2) where it states wiring systems supplied by an ungrounded system shall be equiped with a suitable ground detection device to indicate the presence of a ground fault.
How is this accomplished and what constitues a suitable device
thanks

T
twh Offline
The device is a "ground fault indicator panel". I got one from Eecol a while ago. Willet, in Estevan, Saskatchewan, makes them.

It is three transformer type panel lights. Each is connected betweeen a phase and ground. The indication is that, in the event of a ground fault, one light goes out and the other two get bright.

You can't make your own, though. It wouldn't be CSA approved.

F
frank Offline OP
Im looking at an FPE GIL-600 I guess i'm asking where it would connect to the system.
thanks http://www.schneider-electric.ca/www/en/products/ground/html/gil.htm

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 11-27-2006).]

S
Simply take it off the splitter, as you would any other load. Make sure it has a fused disconnect too.

B
One of the systems feeding the plant where I work is a three phase ungrounded 240V Delta system. The ground fault indicators are feed directly from the load side of the main circuit breaker. (This is an old plant circa 1930's )

The ground indicators are just three bulbs connected in a wye arrangement with the centre point connected to ground. Under normal conditions all three lamps glow dimly and at equal intensity. If one phase becomes grounded the two lamps on the ungrounded phases glow brightly (they now see a full 240V) and the lamp on the grounded phase goes out. Pretty simple but it works well.

Link Copied to Clipboard