ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
As of Oct 01 2006, SQ-D will no longer be manufacturing ANY EL Equipment for or under FPE as SQ D purchased FPE!

If many in the trade are already aware of this by-out, my apologies, but I was in contact with a large supplier this morning, Sept 29 06 at 7:15AM PST, and was given the advice to begin stocking up on ANY FPE breakers that you can, as they will no longer be available in a few months, for if down the road you need one, two, three, ect, on a job where the breaker or breakers have gone defective it would not make sense to me to change the entire panel for such a menial solution as most of us have been in that position and is a time and profit waster. It reminds me when commander changed their style in the early 90’s and remember everyone getting caught in that mess!
Just a note: That in 1989, we were doing 102 town homes and 2 18 story appt buildings, and the owner of the EL Company had purchased and stocked in a trailer on site 1/2 of all the panels, breakers, pull boxes, to meter stacks because of the good deal he thought he was getting, then when 1/2 of it was installed commander decided that they were going to change their panel styles, and no more of their old ones would fit, and that is what I meant by BUYER BEWARE of deals that sound to good.

My apologies if any miss understanding of what I was trying to convey annoyed any of you, for that was not my intention, but an example as to how badly the owner had been misled and had to declare bankruptcy over these panel and breaker situation as he might as well have thrown the whole lot in the trash anyhow as a final result of his own stupidity, so yes I agree 100% on that issue Doug of what you saying there!

Best to all!
Robert Wagner!

[This message has been edited by Wagner Enterprises (edited 09-29-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Wagner Enterprises (edited 09-30-2006).]

Robert William Wagner
C
I'd rather sell them a new panel than horde junk "hoping" someone wants it.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
Why Stock up
Panel Change out is a better idea .

Thanks for the Heads up though

[This message has been edited by dougwells (edited 09-29-2006).]

S
All the residential calls I have been on we dont even replace the breakers. Its a panel change or nothing. Boss tells customers if they dont belive him just punch in federal pacific on the internet and look it up. Usually we get a call back in a couple of days. He refuses to change out breakers in a FPE Panel

Lets not get the Canadian Manufacture of FPE in the same boat as the American FPE Breaker.
I have yet to hear about FPE Failures as to not tripping with the Canadian supplied ones.

C
It's not just the CB's that are suspect...the bus also has issues.

I "encourage" people to just change them.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
S
Sorry about that Doug. I should have said in the US. I stand corrected,
Steve

R
Really??? This is news to me!!!
There are going to be a LOT of P.O'd people...

I will be one!! Damn.. Shoulda put in a QO!
A.D

Link Copied to Clipboard