ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
F
frank Offline OP
I have two devices associated with a fire alarm system.One is a MAG-LOC that is basically a computer controlled door locking system with card access.The other is a common magnetic fire door holder.Both devises release during an alarm.
The control circuits are ran in #18/2 FT6 cable.
My understanding of rule 32-102 is that this wire is part of the fire alarm system although isolated via relays and must be ran in either pipe,bx skin or in the pour since this is a non combustible building.Your opinions would be appreciated.
cheers

R
Dont quote me but when we did the retirement home all the fire door holders were in pipe or securex/ bx, but the mag LOCKS were done in 18/2 FT6 cable and run in the open as they were considered part of the security system and not the fire alarm... Even though the fire alarm signalled the mag locks to drop out AND they were tied into a normally closed contact in the pull-station adjacent to the door with the mag-lock.
A.D

F
frank Offline OP
I have guys assuming that since both devices are controlled the same way(form C relays)wiring methods can be the same and rightfully so.
Like you i have always seen magloc control done in ft6 and door holders in pipe or bx.
I've never clued in until last monday when the guys used an abandoned 18/2 ft6 maglock control wire for a newly installed door holder(same door).Doesn't feel right but i had to conseed.Can't win the argument based in logic.Oh and the NC contact from the pull station is always done in pipe or bx as well...
cheers

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 08-15-2006).]

J
Cant quote you the rule, but the intent of the concrete encased, conduit etc for fire alarm is that it functions in a real fire. So for a door release, I would definitely want to make sure that would also function in a real fire, same with most other ancillary devices.

Link Copied to Clipboard