ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#102660 07/17/06 02:16 PM
I went to every Electrical supply house looking for these devices guess what they all looked at me like i was crazy I said look at the devices they all say copper only,anyhow Does anybody know who stocks these items in this link
http://www.safetyauthority.ca/bcsa_pdf_files/The_Facts_About_Aluminum_Wiring_In_The_Home.pdf

#2 issue is nobody is stocking Al compatible marrett connectors either
I cant understand why a contractor cannot get these items easily, I hear guys are just stuffing the marrette with nolux and assuming thats correct.

any help would be appreciated thanks

#102661 07/18/06 07:06 PM
S
Doug,
We just redid a commercial property that was all aluminum wireing. You can order all switches and receptacles at hamden zimmerman electrical supply here in springfield, mass. They will also ship them to you. They are pricey and they also carry the AL/CU wirenuts. Good luck and remember they are pricey.

#102662 07/18/06 09:04 PM
C
Doug,

When I run into AL/CU stuff, I won't do the job anymore unless the client agrees to a changeover to CU only. I know this may not work well in Kelowna for some retired and cantankerous old farts that are trying to save a buck or two.

The reason I changed to CU only was exactly the problem you are running into out there in CYKA. It just got to be too much of a hassle trying to chase down and stock CU/AL parts, even the compatible wire nuts you can't find.

When I priced out the difference in using CU/AL compatible components to that of changing to CU only it only made a difference of about $500.00 more in labour in most cases, to change to CU for a typical remodel and, in my humble opinion, tends to be a lot safer as the components age.

As to stuffing the Marrett's with nolux - sometimes I have seen that stuff "dry out" after as little as ten years and the connectors gets cooked a nice toasty brown colour. It shows up right away in the infra-red scan like a beacon at an airport because of the heat the CU/AL interface generates after the nolux has dissipated.

Hope that helps.
Cheers from Edmonton.

#102663 07/26/06 12:59 PM
M
Since appropriate marrettes and devices are available i think your wholesale outlet is lazy and poorly informed of product availabilities.

Link Copied to Clipboard