ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#102596 06/15/06 11:08 PM
J
jay8 Offline OP
I plan to replace power factor correction capacitors inside a wye-delta starter. Existing capacitors were damaged due to a wiring fault. 26-218 2(d) does not let me put capacitors on the load side of the starter if it is wye-delta starting, but I am replacing existing capacitors, installed by the manufacturer. What gives? Why cant I do this in the field, when it is an accepted industry practice? Any ideas out there? Thanks.

#102597 06/15/06 11:29 PM
T
twh Offline
If I were replacing parts on CSA approved equipment, I would do it in a manner that would restore the equipment to the condition at which it was approved. I don't think that it is up to us to question the CSA approval.

As to it being an industry practice - perhaps it isn't a good practice.

#102598 06/16/06 07:12 PM
M
Ok it has been 15 years since I last wired a Y / delta starter but from memory the y has windings that are shorted in y then open and reconnect delta. So there is a moment where there is no voltage on the wires that were shorted at the y point. Put a capacitor across the output and it would discharge during the transition possibly creating a problem. If I recall, the capacitors should not be connected until the motor reaches operating speed. There may also be tourque issues but on that point I think I am confusing the capacitor in single phase motors with power factor correction capacitors.
I might ask if a factory supplied y/delta with PF correction does not have a set of contacts that don't close until after the motor is Delta?

#102599 06/18/06 12:04 AM
J
jay8 Offline OP
The starter is wired in such a way that the capacitors come online when motor has completed its transition from wye to delta. 26-218 refers to overvoltages and overtorques, reclosings, jogging etc. But because the caps come online after transition, and there is no way these machines I am working with are going to be jogging frequently, I dont see the problem.

#102600 06/19/06 07:10 PM
M
So Jay I gather your starter is an approved unit that does not connect the capacitors until the motor is to operating mode. So I see no violation here. Approved starter with PF correction included is not the same as making one yourself. Make one yourself and you would be in violation.

Link Copied to Clipboard