ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 560 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Heading to Florida. I will post more on this hair ball when I get back........Honey.....where's my Speedo's...?

Sunny Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
O.K. here's the solution. If I can get it out of my head and onto the keyboard in a way that is understandable to the readership (I don't mean the readership can't understand, I mean the writer's ability at the keys is limited). I have submitted to the contractor's engineer the following:
The PoCo's overhead transformer bank is on the oposite side of a road from the location of the temporary service that I will be providing. So, I will be building a "rack" out of treated wooden poles 40'X 11" butt diameter, 4'X8' treated plywood, and unistrut. I plan on setting an N3R gutter with a 3" riser containing (4) 500 Kcmil. The service voltage will be 480 volt, 3 phase, wye. The gutter will be tapped with (1) 200/3/200AF disco w/ solid neutral, and (1) 100/3/100AF disco w/ solid neutral. Each disco will feed an HD7 20-53 self contained meter can. The 200 and 100 will feed risers that contain (4) 3/0 and (4) #3 awg respectively. These conductors will splice onto #4/0 and #1 quadraplex via CU/Al rated split bolts, and span some 1,500' via "shorter" treated wooden poles, "strain" hangers, and hardware. At the end of the span the 4/0 quadraplex will drop into a riser containing (4) 3/0 copper conductors which will feed an N3R gutter. The gutter will be tapped with (2) 200/2/175AF Disco's which will each feed a 75 KVA, 480/240-120 Volt transformer, and each of those will feed a single phase, 240/120 volt panel with 300 Amp MCB. One set of job trailers will be fed from these panels. The other quadraplex will feed a 50 KVA, single phase transformer, which will in turn feed a gutter with existing disco's. Ground rods, GEC's, ect. will be used at the service, and at transformers. I hope that all can make sense of this. Your comments may be welcome......depending on how critical you are...... [Linked Image] The price tag on this little project will be between 40 and 60K.....ouch!

Sanity after Temporary Insanity,
Doc

P.S.
The jury is still out, on whether I'm sane or not. Because I've got to be crazy for getting involved in this project.

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
Looks like we are finally going to get a WCD to do this work. I will post more on this matter, and possibly send some pictures in when the project is complete. Approximately $57K was the price tag.

Bling, bling,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
Got some pics of the temporary power that we finished about a week ago. To date we are still waiting on the Poco to make the final connection. Check it out on PictureStage!
To get there, go to www.PictureStage.com and log in as a Guest using the following information:

Log-in ID: thewattdoctor
Guest Password: doc's place

Regards,
Doc

[This message has been edited by The Watt Doctor (edited 11-01-2002).]

[This message has been edited by The Watt Doctor (edited 11-01-2002).]

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
S
Doc, the URL has a comma at the end of it, so the link doesn't work.

Steve
Thanks stam. Try it now.

Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
Wow!

And under budjet too!

You got "all that" AND a bag of chips!

Great Pics and story, WattDoc!

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector