ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Jonno Offline OP
I was working on a cottage recently, adding a few new circuits for a sump pump and washing machine and cleaning up some one else’s creative wiring.

The cottage has a detached shed, fed by a 3 conductor TEK, the original installer fed the TEK off of the living room lighting circuit, one of the conductors was a supply for the inside lights and plug, another was used as a switch leg so that the outside light on the shed was controlled by a switch in the living room. There is of course a neutral and EGC.

I moved the shed onto its own breaker. I was wondering on what everyone’s thoughts on how I could cover the service disconnect for this shed.

J
not sure what you mean by "cover the service disconnect for this shed"

J
Jonno Offline OP
Sorry, my poor choice of wording.

I am asking for insight on how you would provide a service disconect for this shed.

J
You would not really have a service disconnect to an outbuilding,since what you are describing is a branch circuit off your main panel. What you may require, depending on how much power you are bringing to the outbuilding, could be some kind of sub-panel. Be sure to read CEC 10-208. You are allowed two 15 amp circuits to the outbuilding without a subpanel-but I cant find that rule, be sure to talk to your local AHJ to check local rules also.

M
I would look at this in two ways. If it is a home there would be no requirement for a disconnect at the shed and I might prefer to see a sub panel I cannot think of any reason that a person would be required to run a sub panel and feed the circuits from their.
Even a commercial application if the shed is not a seperate tennant then it could still be fed either via a sub panel or separate circuits. Now if the shed was functionally seperate IE a different tennant then a panel with a local disconnect would be in order.
In BC each occupancy must have a local disconnect within the occupancy.

C
In Ontario this rule applies:
14-418 Disconnecting Means

(1) A single disconnecting means shall be provided either integral with or adjacent to the distribution equipment:

(a) Within each unit of a multi-unit building, other than a dwelling unit;

(b) Within each area common to more than one building, such as an underground parking area; or

(c) Within each building when fed from another building.

(2) Subrule (1) does not apply to circuits from part of fire alarm, fire protection and emergency systems.

Link Copied to Clipboard