ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
bigpapa Offline OP
Seems that 6-112 (6) calls for a bolted service wire support. Is this enforced in your city? I have an old house to change the service and an Emily know would work fine. Why do I have to rip open the walls just to put in a bolt?

J
I have done services in Vancouver using the lag bolt type emily knob, even called up the inspection department before I installed. They told me the lag bolt type was acceptable, everything passed.

In British Columbia we must use the bolt with washer and Nut. we cannot use the screw in type insulator. This is also a BC Hydro requirement.

B
bigpapa Offline OP
I phoned the provincial inspector here in B.C. and he said they accept them but only if screwed into solid wood all the way.

J
funny this came up, recently I did a renovation on an older home, but fairly recent service upgrade. The emily knob had been pulled right out of the exterior wall, conductors were suspended by the crimp connections. This was the lag type, no doubt just screwed into the siding and sheathing. 6-112(6) does specify bolts, I guess the interpretation by some jurisdictions is 'lag bolt', not lag screw.

Link Copied to Clipboard