ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 279 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#102373 01/27/06 09:48 PM
C
I'm wondering how many electricians actually twist the wires together with their Kleins before applying the marrette? I was allways taught to twist them before you use the marrette, but some of my seniors tell me not to because it wastes time! I strongly disagree with this practice since you can't actually see the integrity of the connection before applying the marrette. So who twists and who doesn't?

-CJ

R
What I do is...

Solid to Solid...

No twisting

Stranded to Stranded...

Twist each conductor with my fingers first

Solid to Stranded...

Twist stranded conductor with my fingers first

In my opinion... twisting solids to solids is a bad idea as the twisted conductors will only get a minimum puchase on the threads inside the marrette and the marrette may come off. The process of twisting the marrette on the untwisted conductors actually threads the marrette on to the conductors.

[This message has been edited by Rick Kelly (edited 01-27-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Rick Kelly (edited 01-27-2006).]

R
I always twist solids together then put the marrette on. Certain types say on the instructions that it is not required. It depends on the style. I think that twisting the wires together along with using the correct size of marrette is the way to go.

B
I ALWAYS twist the wires together before applying a Marrette.

I understand most manufacturers advertise "no pre-twisting required" but in my experience if a connection fails at a "Mar" connector it is due to the fact the wires were not twisted together prior to the "Mar" being applied.

Take the time to "twist", it is a good habit to get into in my opinion [Linked Image]

C
Especially when you have 4 or more solids going into a splice....Pain in the butt trying to hold them all even. Anyone seen those new IDEAL push in connectors? GARBAGE!!! (Stab-n-fail)

R
I will pre-twist if I am using any type of connector EXCEPT the Ideal "Can-Twist".. They seem to bite onto any combination of solid and/or stranded and properly twist all conductors together within the cap and I have never had any conductors pop out or wire nuts come off.... ( I do "finger twist" when stranded conductors are involved though)..
As for some of the connectors from the "marr" line... I have had those buggers get loose and pop off especially where stranded wire is involved for some reason.. Even pre-twisted, the connections seemed loose, the marrettes have popped off, I hate them..

Has anyone found that also?? Just wondering..
A.D

F
we pre-twist solid but not solid to stranded.We make the stranded 1/8" longer at the top so the when the wire nut is screwed on it folds the stranded over the end of the solid and locks it down,so to speak.Then tug test the connection.
Heard this from a rep at the yearly trade show.
A few months ago a bad #18 solid to stranded joint almost brought our entire powerhouse.
cheers

S
My 2 cents.... when we use the blue Ideal Can-Twist....we never pretwist. As mentioned elsewhere, these things grab and hold any type of wire. Best wire connectors I've ever used.

C
Ya, that or the spring on those damn marrettes come out! That's happened to me on 347 before and it's SCARY! So if i see those things in a j-box i turn it off before moving anything.
If the blue Ideal's are too expensive then use the good old Ideal wire nut...never had a problem with these! Problem is nobody stocks them anymore...Also...when you twist the conductors the spring in the marrette is carrying less current than if it the wires aren't twisted [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by copperjockey (edited 02-04-2006).]

C
Also...when you twist the conductors the spring in the marrette is carrying less current than if it the wires aren't twisted

HUH?

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard