ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
spkjpr Offline OP
Once upon a time I saw a set of calipers that read out wire size. I frequently get call to remove old subpanels and need to check the size of wire an the panel that the load is being moved to. Most of these the marking on the wire is no longer legible. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. Also this board is a great asset and very interesting.

The smaller sizes can be checked with a pair of strippers that have the multiple sizes. For the larger sizes, you might check the dimensions of legibly marked conductors, log them in on a piece of paper, and use them for future reference.

spkjpr,

I usually use strippers to determine the size like electure mentioned and carry around some small pieces of larger sizes to compare side by side. If it's important for larger sizes I think you can figure it out by knowing the size of each strand and counting them.

Bill

Bill
S
I wonder if the machinist trade would have something useful for you..?

[Linked Image]

S
Are you referring to those plastic cards with the appropriate notch in them for the size wire you are trying to find? If not, how about those?

I would never stick a pair of wire strippers in a live panel to do an inspection.--not suggesting anyone else was suggesting that, but I can't shut the power down to do an inspection.

How about a proposal for manufacturers to mark the wire size on the wire every 6"s instead of 24". I can't find the wire size for new wires half the time.

D
I think you are refering to a Burndy wire mike. Don't know if you can get them new but I found one on Ebay about a year ago.

M
You might try asking people at a motor repair shop. They use calipers to determine wire size of the motor windings.

Z
SPKJPR, I BORROWED TWO OF THESE METAL WIRE GAUGES , BOUT 3" IN DIA. WHEN I WAS IN THE NAVY AS A SPARKY. FUNNY THING IS I DON'T RECALL GIVING THEM BACK. I BET THERE WAS 20 SIZES ON IT. I THINK MIKE HAS THE BEST ANSWER.

J
Originally posted by dtl66:
I think you are refering to a Burndy wire mike. Don't know if you can get them new but I found one on Ebay about a year ago.
Burndy is now a part of [url=]Framatome[/url]. Neat tool, but I didn't see it on their site.

J
Looks like I blew the link: http://www.fciconnect.com/ is Framatome

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard