ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Why switches,panel should be mounted on a piece of fireproof wood when against concrete or brick wall?

I can not find any related requirements in the code.

Can somebody help me?

Appreciate your answers,thanks.

U
The salts found in concrete, and its ability to wick moisture will corrode the panel. I recall a discussion about this issue in 2nd-year school. I can't find anything in the CEC book though.

The 'fireproof' requirement may be referenced better in the Building Code. I have seen fire-resistant and painted regular plywood used for the purpose (perhaps fire rated paint satisfies the requirement?)

S
We use plain plywood when mounting our stuff to concrete. No special treatments required. A few years ago, they required drywall in between the panel/switch and plywood, but last few years they eliminated that rule as the panels and switches are "enclosed" and supposed to suppress any fire. Hey, I don't write the codes, good enough for me.

F
Interesting,we never use anything in industry.Bolt everything directly to concrete or block.To be honest Ive never looked for it in the code.Is it a damp location issue.The only time Ive seen wood is to have something to screw to for phone equipment etc.In not saying you don't need it.i just want to know the circumstances and where its applicable.Code rule # anyone
cheers

S
Frank...yes, to clarify, for individual switches, we bolt directly to concrete/block. But typically, when we do a service from scratch, with main switches, mb, splitter, panels, etc. I like to use 1 or several 4x8 sheets of plywood. So much easier/faster screwing into wood.

B
I have always used plywood to mount equipment wherever I am also using loomex to
wire (resi mostly). I work industrial now and it is the same as what Frank stated,everything straight on to the concrete or block.I have never taken fireproofing into consideration and have never had a violation for doing it this way.
Who knows maybe I have been missing something but I can't check for code rules as I am in a hotel in Winnipeg with no code book.(What was I thinking..lol)

Speaking of Code Books when are they going to stop going up in price. The 2006 edition is going to be 135.00

And what they want for it on Disk is Just a money grab IMHO the last one was 295.00.
If a person buys the Code Book there should be a deal for the CD

[This message has been edited by dougwells (edited 12-28-2005).]

B
At 135 bucks they should include a cd with the code book!

P
I guess it is a rule from the Canadian Building Code.I am not sure.

I realy want to see somebody clear this fuzzy wood,and tell us in what circumstance this fireproof wood must be installed.

P
295?!
I am thinking of buying PART I and PART II,so I have to pay maybe 500 bucks for these books?

[This message has been edited by peterpang (edited 12-28-2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard