ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
Hi, first post here.

Was wondering if any code gurus here could let me know if I am seeing everything here.

Apparently a friend of mine is having a disagreement with a distibutor about what is "equal" to a provided control unit, thier control device is very similiar in specification however no enclosure.

The most relevent code requirement I could find was 14-410 which says essentially any current carrying parts must be inaccessible (ie. enclosure required or at least out of reach). They argue that the code doesnt cover this due to low voltage and parts may be exposed (I believe voltage is 12v).

Am I missing any details or exceptions?

Thanks for any help.

B
Your question is not 100% clear to me. (Could be me, its been a long day!)

They argue that the code doesn't cover this due to low voltage

I believe this is wrong!

Rules 30-1202 to 30-1208 apply to extra-low-voltage lighting systems. It seems you have a codebook so check it out.

BTW, check out the "Scope" in section "0".

If your province has adopted the CEC then low voltage is covered by the code.

C
The requirement for an enclosure is 12-3002(1), not 14-410. The exception you might be looking for is 12-000(1)(a). This applies to "extra low voltage" circiuts when they meet the requirements of 16-200.

It does not seem to me that 14-410 applies in this situation, a control device is a contactor, your description seems to describe something else.

Big Rock is right the CEC does apply here. You also might want to check to see if this control panel is CSA or ULC listed.

E
Hi thx for the responses!

I'm in ontario so we have a modifed CEC version here.

As far as 30-1202 goes its not a lighting system, its a Variable Air Controller with relay/contactors and thermostat etc. Not really a outlet box like described in 12-3002 either. 16-200 deals more with overcurrent protection so not really applicable.

Best I've found is 14-410 so I guess we'll stick with that when we talk to them next. Thanks again!

Link Copied to Clipboard