ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#102209 09/14/05 09:33 PM
C
Clay Offline OP
I was sent to a job a few days ago. it seemed that the shop owner decided that he could install his own CNC machine. He did alright until he hooked up his step-down transformer backwards (600 -120/208). His machine didn't survive the switch being turned on.

The rest of his wiring in his building is absolutely nasty. Armored cable (BX) hanging all over the place without connectors, (feeding 600 volt equipment), who ever did the work there has never heard of J-box covers, marretts must have been difficult to obtain. Don't even get me started on proper/any overload or over-currant protection.

I told the owner that I would be pulling a permit to hook up his CNC machine when it came back from being repaired. I have never seen anyone get so mad, language I haven’t heard before. lets just say I was asked to leave.

My problem is that sooner or later, someone is going to get hurt, or worse. So I've decided to let the local inspector know of the situation. I see him regularly and have a good working relationship with him. I'd hate to see someone get hurt knowing I could have done something about it. Even though the shop owner will very quickly figure out who "rated" on him.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this sort of thing and what you would do about it.

I'm looking for advice. Am I wrong to let the local ESA inspector know of whets going on.

Thanks guys/gals

Clay

#102210 09/15/05 06:58 PM
B
I don't think I would have done anything different.
Every time you question weather or not you did the right thing just stop for a moment and imagine how you would feel if someone died because you did not report this.
In my opinion this is not "ratting" someone out, your motive is not to be vindictive, but is based on concern for the employees.
I say good on you, you may have just saved a life!!

#102211 09/15/05 08:22 PM
Cat Servant
How can you be "ratting" on him? As I see it, you, as a taxpayer, are the employer of the inspector. You are only asking your employee to do what you pay him for- and giving him the info he needs to do his job!

Machinists are usually precise and neat. This guy, with his attitude, probably also has all sorts of guards missing, interlocks bypassed, etc. He needs to be shut down.

It is also unfair to the law-abiding to let this guy play by a different set of rules.

Good thing you were "fired." This guy is the sort who won't pay- but will certainly hold you to account for anything he can possibly blame on you.

With any luck, he will have a poor attitude with the inspector- who will return the favor by having the entire inspection community pay a visit.

#102212 09/16/05 07:07 PM
Cat Servant
I left out one important thing about "dropping a dime" on someone.....make absolutely certain that you have your facts straight!
As an example, I would not call on a 250 volt disconnect simply because it had a "480 Volt" sticker on it....I'd want to measure the volts myself, first. Why? Because someone may have simply put the sticker there to keep unqualified personnel from playing around inside.

#102213 09/16/05 07:22 PM
In the province of British Columbia the legislation says we are required to report anything that could potentially create harm to property or Life

Link Copied to Clipboard