ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#102064 11/28/04 03:54 PM
B
bigmac Offline OP
Could you explain me the difference between Canadian Electrical Code (CEC) and Ontario Electrical Safety Code (OESC). I need to buy Code book for a job and I need your advise. Thanx

C
CRM Offline
The CEC covers all of Canada, but each province makes their own changes for certain code rules, which Ontario would call the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. I would get a copy of both books, because they both contain important information.

S
I was under the impression that the OESC was the same as the CEC book with the additional 'for Ontario only' rulings noted with a black triangle in the rules.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If your work is in Ontario, get the OESC.

-Greg

T
¡öPREFACE TO THE 23RD EDITION OF THE ELECTRICAL SAFETY CODE

This Edition contains the standards referenced by the Ontario Regulation made in 2002 pursuant to the Electricity Act regarding the Electrical Safety Code. Reference should always be made to these Regulations, and amendments thereto, as the may be made from time to time.

This edition contains electrical safety requirements for wiring and equipment in buildings, structures, and premises, with the exception of mines, railways, aircraft, marine vessels, installations used for communication purposes and automobiles.

As electrical hazards occur mainly because of the overloading and abuse of wring systems, it is recommended that initial installations be planned with adequate provision for possible future uses of electricity. The 23rd Edition comprises the Canadian Electrical Code Part 1, C22.1-02, together with the Ontario Amendments to the Canadian Electrical Code, Part 1, C22.1-02, dated January 2002. This publication contains both documents, with following marking conventions:

¡ö A revision applicable in Ontario. The Ontario revision appears in italics, just before Canadain Electrical Code rule(s) it modifies.

¦¤ A change from the previous code.

ESA11160

¦¤ Preface

¦¤ Preface

This nineteenth edition of the Canadian Electrical Code, Part I, was approved by the Committee on Canadian Electrical Code, Part I, and by the Regulatory Authority Committee at their June 2001 meetings in St. John¡¯s, Newfoundland. This nineteenth edition supersedes the previous editions, published in 1927, 1930, 1935, 1939, 1947, 1953, 1958, 1962, 1966, 1969, 1972, 1975, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1994, and 1998.

Sections 0 to 16 and 26 are considered general sections, the others being supplementary or amendatory sections.

Sections 34 , 38 , 50 , and 66 have been revised considerably to reflect new technology and industry practices, and to harmonize with the National Electrical Code and product standards.

Requirements have been added for the installation of arc-fault circuit interrupters as well as surge protectors.

Various requirements were revised, particularly for heat tracing cables and luminaires, as a result of continuing efforts toward harmonization.

In addition, there are significant changes to Sections 0 , 12 , 18 , 20 , 24 , 26 , 30 , 54 , 62 , 70 , and 72 .

ESA11161

Acknowledgement

Acknowledgement

Acknowledgement is made for the use of material contained in the National Electrical Code.

ESA11162

¦¤ The History and Operation of the CE Code, Part I

¦¤ The History and Operation of the CE Code, Part I

The preliminary work in preparing the Canadian Electrical Code was begun in 1920 when a special committee, appointed by the main Committee of the Canadian Engineering Standards Association, recommended that action be taken with regard to this undertaking. A third meeting of this Committee was held in June 1927 with representatives from Nova Scotia, Qu¨¦bec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia attending. At this meeting, the revised draft, which had been discussed at the previous two meetings, was formally approved and a resolution was made that it be printed as Part I of the Canadian Electrical Code.

The present Committee on CE Code, Part I, is composed of 39 members, with representation from inspection authorities, industry, utilities, and allied interests. The Committee meets twice a year and deals with reports that have been submitted by the 42 Section Subcommittees, which work under the jurisdiction of the main Committee. Suggestions for changes to the Code may be made by any member of the Committee or anyone outside the Committee as outlined in Clause C6 .

January 2002

Notes:

(1) Although the intended primary application of this Standard is stated in its Scope, it is important to note that it remains the responsibility of the users of the Standard to judge its suitability for their particular purpose.

(2) All enquiries regarding this Standard should be addressed to Canadian Standards Association, 178 Rexdale Boulevard, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M9W 1R3.

(3) CSA Standards are subject to periodic review, and suggestions for their improvement will be referred to the appropriate committee.

(4) Requests for interpretation will also be accepted by the committee (see Clause C10 ). They should be worded in such a manner as to permit a simple ¡°yes¡± or ¡°no¡± answer based on the literal text of the requirement concerned. Interpretations are published in CSA¡¯s periodical Info Update. For subscription details, write to CSA Sales Promotion, Info Update, at the address given above.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
Electrical Safety Authority

S
Good Lord Tony.....

You must right these code books for a living man. A simple question and a lawyers response (just like in the code book huh, lol).

Just ribbing ya ole man..... have a great day!!

-Greg

Link Copied to Clipboard