ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thanks guys...
So to reiterate... Both methods are acceptable according to the NEC? That is.. Breaking the Neutral or not...?

That's really the back bone of my questions... the other thing was a tangent... but then I digress... again...lol

I'm aware that the BEST method is to use a UL approved transfer switch... But I'm still in question as to who has the better homemade system (remember my neighbor and I are both qualified electricians and we keep an eye on our unorthodox contraptions...) He with the backfed breaker... or myself with the elaborate ( and fail-safe , if I may add.....) cord and plug system...Easy on the flames... neither of us would approve a customer getting such a setup...but I do want to know what you think.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
R
Sparky,
Unless there is some kind of mechanical interconnect between the main breaker and the back fed breaker at your neighbor's house, his installation is in violation of 702-6. If there is an interlock then both systems are OK, except that the grounded conductor to the generator frame must be removed in his and must be inplace in yours. You must also have a grounding electrode system connected to the grounded conductor at your generator.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
Sparky,

Of the two, I would sleep better with your arrangement. His is a lot simpler, but more prone to accidents. It is potentially a very dangerous situation. I probably don't have to elaborate on ther dangers if the main was left on or there was some leakage through the main back to the pole.

Does anyone know what would happen to the generator if it was hooked up, breaker was turned on and utility power was also present?

Bill
Administrator
I've moved this topic to the NEC Discussion Area.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard