ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
RobbieD Offline OP
Just seeing what the opinion of others is with information on voltage drop in the CEC. Tables D3&D4 are great but there is no table for three phase. I wonder why they didn't put a table or some information to use so you can calculate the voltage drop.
The formula VD= (1.73)(K)(L)(I) divided by CM is nowhere to be found in the CEC. I have not found the K values at different temperatures in the CEC. Also in the CEC there is no longer the CM of the wire, Table D5 only gives the conductor area in mm2. I know that there used to be more information on this matter in older code books but was taken out of newer ones. Why don't they put a table in the CEC that displays the metric formula for calculating voltage drop in three phase circuits along with the K values of conductors at different temperatures? Maybe I'm just missing a page or something. What do you guys think? Hopefully this starts people talking on this great site.

T
twh Offline
With the CEC we don't actually calculate voltage drop. I think it's more of a wire size calculation to limit the voltage drop, and it's fairly involved.

The correction from Table D3 to three phase is to multiply the distance by 1.15.

Here is my understanding of the correct calculation

R
RobbieD Offline OP
I know that we don't have to calculate this all the time but it would still be nice to be able to do this with the CEC. With information provided in the book and not relying on a computer. Times it by 1.15 works great but what if there is a different abient temp. and K values change. All I am saying is that there should be more info in the book.

T
twh Offline
That is how you do it using the CEC and it includes ambient temperature.

The rules are a mess and I don't know what to do about it. I'm not sure this is the solution, but it does walk you through the calculations.

Maybe we should push for an amendment to Appendix B?

M
Has anyone tried using the CEC software tables, voltage drop and other electrical calculators at http://www.mc-group.ca ?

B
Thanks Twh and Mike02 for the links.

Thanks for the links also

Link Copied to Clipboard