ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 392 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#101641 05/15/02 09:07 PM
L
1)Will manufacturers be producing AFCI breakers for older style panels,or will there be some sort AFCI unit which can be used with older/obsolete breaker panels and/or fuse panels?

2)This is a question that was posted as a reply to another AFCI question.

I will be called upon this summer to swap out a 60amp fused panel to a 100amp breaker panel. Last summer when I was first called over to give a quote on swapping out the service they also wanted all recp's and light sw's replaced with the decora style. So I factored in gfci breakers for the upper floor bedrooms recp's which are only 2 wire circuits (no ground), this would allow me to use 3 prong outlets on ungrounded circuits with out having to try and rewire the top floor. Will these bedroom circuits require AFCI protection?

SamC

#101642 05/16/02 05:56 PM
T
Lawrence,

1) A sub-panel might be the solution for any older type panelboards (ie; fuses, older style Commander Breaker Panels) which might not at this time, be able to support the new AFCI's.

2) In Ontario, AFCI breakers will not be required retroactively, even if the service is upgraded. They would however be required for an addition containing a bedroom.

Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters will only be required for new construction, and additions or renovations when a new circuit is provided for a bedroom. AFCI's will not be required when existing receptacles are simply replaced.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
© Electrical Safety Authority – 2002

Link Copied to Clipboard